Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Carb cleaning  (Read 443 times)

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Carb cleaning
« on: 20 October, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
With the absence of a ultrasonic cleaner in my shed what is the best commonly available  Household product to remove years of crud and varnish from inside of a carburettorI have looked on youtube  and there are many suggestions from Coke to boiling antifreeze
Anybody have a favorite?

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Re: Carb cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
OK so after a bit of research and a bit of " what's the worse that can happen" pondering :015:  I settled on a soak in Vanish Gold and hot water, followed by a 15 min boil in citric acid mix,
Works a treat !
Just remember to remove all rubber bits gaskets etc and pull all the jets. the carb bodies are now squeaky clean but dull to look at and will need a polish to restore the bright alloy look

But the good news is all back together and  the bike started up today!!!.
She was a bit reluctant at first but  eventually she was off, Mind you she smoked like a lab Beagle for five minutes  but she had been standing out in a field for years and a load of leaves shot out of the exhaust pipe and I think there might have been a mouse nest as well
I just need to get the oil filter case off next but someone has mullered the bolt in the past
and I will have to hammer a smaller socket on it and get the blowtorch out tomorrow
The joys of classic bikes :mfrlol:

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Re: Carb cleaning
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
Chewed the sump/ oil filter  plug beyond redemption  ,spent a unhappy hour with a cold chisel  tapping it round and round till it was loose enough to wind it out.Had to grind it flat and weld a 17mm nut back on.
Fresh oil and new filter
Job's a good u'n :028:

Recent Topics