Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel filter  (Read 2108 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline stergios

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2019, 11:45:05 PM »
yes it is paper and you cannot fully clean it.
after a point its beyond cleaning.

if you really need a cheap alternative do the fuel - filter regulator trick i explained.
If you are not and want a complete pump try ebay i have sourced a new complete pump for 150€ from italian ebay afte running with the vw filter and regulator for a year or so.

Offline Crispy

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
  • Country: Britain
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
Bit of a mystery this? 

It’s great to save money, but I’ve looked at the maintenance schedule in my Honda manual and there’s no mention of changing the fuel filter anywhere. All that needs to be checked in this area are the fuel lines.

The link posted in the opening post has part No.30 missing from the list. If you look at the exploded diagram on Fowlers Parts, part No.30 is listed as the Filter Assembly, priced at £303.72. I can only assume at this kind of price, for a fuel filter, it won’t need changing, ever. 

But I could be wrong. Could you briefly explain how you changed the filter?

Best regards
« Last Edit: 19 August, 2019, 09:35:06 PM by Crispy »
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Shed

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 219
  • City / Town: Newcastle
  • Country: UK
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
Bit of a mystery this? 

It’s great to save money, but I’ve looked at the maintenance schedule in my Honda manual and there’s no mention of changing the fuel filter anywhere. All that needs to be checked in this area are the fuel lines.

The link posted in the opening post has part No.30 missing from the list. If you look at the exploded diagram on Fowlers Parts, part No.30 is listed as the Filter Assembly, priced at £303.72. I can only assume at this kind of price, for a fuel filter, it won’t need changing, ever. 

But I could be wrong. Could you briefly explain how you changed the filter?

Best regards


Crispy, the fuel filter, or 'strainer' comes with the fuel pump, it's the yellow looking teabag thingy in the pic on the below link.  :028:
If anyone needs to fit a new pump, forget the ridiculous £300 price tag,  :005:, you can get all you need in a £60 kit. I fitted one of these a few weeks ago to a friends bike. Took about half an hour. Also good practice to replace the rubber gasket between pump and tank while you're in there. Use the old gasket at your own risk. (Gasket part number 17574MFAD00 which is also referred to as the 'packing base').

https://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5574&search=cbf1000
« Last Edit: 19 August, 2019, 09:49:53 PM by Shed »

Offline Crispy

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
  • Country: Britain
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2019, 01:35:04 AM »
Nice one Shed.
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline stergios

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #14 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:26:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]

Crispy, the fuel filter, or 'strainer' comes with the fuel pump, it's the yellow looking teabag thingy in the pic on the below link.  :028:
If anyone needs to fit a new pump, forget the ridiculous £300 price tag,  :005:, you can get all you need in a £60 kit. I fitted one of these a few weeks ago to a friends bike. Took about half an hour. Also good practice to replace the rubber gasket between pump and tank while you're in there. Use the old gasket at your own risk. (Gasket part number 17574MFAD00 which is also referred to as the 'packing base').

https://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5574&search=cbf1000

You suggest to someone with a clogged filter to change the pump?

go ahead. see how it goes.

The idea behind this thread is to point that although the pump if fine the motorcycle underperforms because the filter AFTER the pump is clogged and is not replaceable according to honda unless you get the whole assembly.

I suggest you replace the filter with aftermarket one and get it fixed cheap unless you want to search italian ebay for a complete assembly for 150€.  search the thread.


Offline Geo1982

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Athens
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #15 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »
Stergios is right.The problem is in the plastic partthe white one) that it has a filter inside anf honda doesn't give spare part.We must bye the whole unit.

Offline Shed

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 219
  • City / Town: Newcastle
  • Country: UK
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by stergios [+]
You suggest to someone with a clogged filter to change the pump?

go ahead. see how it goes.

The idea behind this thread is to point that although the pump if fine the motorcycle underperforms because the filter AFTER the pump is clogged and is not replaceable according to honda unless you get the whole assembly.

I suggest you replace the filter with aftermarket one and get it fixed cheap unless you want to search italian ebay for a complete assembly for 150€.  search the thread.

No Stergios, I did not suggest changing the pump just because the filter is clogged. Nowhere in my post do I suggest that. Read what I typed.

"Go ahead. see how it goes." - not sure what your point is here. If you are referring to actually changing the pump and/or filter, when I did it, it went fine. Easy, straightforward, and the bike runs great since. It doesn't "under-perform" whatsoever. (The bike in question had failed its fuel flow test).

Why would anyone want to mess about modding the pump and filter, as you say you have, or search Italian ebay and spend €150 (£138), when an entire aftermarket kit in the link above containing a new pump and a new filter is only €65 (£60)? Surely this is an 'aftermarket one' which allows you to 'get it fixed cheap', exactly as you elude to - unlike your Italian job method?
Pointless expense.

I did indeed 'search the thread', and I would think post#3 says it all.

Offline Kamboskid

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #17 on: 03 October, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
I  live in Greece (Chios) and can confirm the fuel there is of low quality, try to use as high an octane grade as possible or CRYSTAL fuel which seems to be readily available. Like OP I have fuel problems but only on long runs when using power under load continuosly.

Very interested in your fix for the pump which I have been quoted as 680 euros for a replacement! Am I correct in saying the additional unit is submerged inside the tank?

Offline stergios

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 98
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #18 on: 03 October, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
2 more left

get it done and enjoy your motorcycle. until the filter gets clogged again in ~30.000 to 45/000 klm with crap fuel

https://www.ebay.it/itm/POMPA-BENZINA-SERBATOIO-PUMP-ELECTRIC-FUEL-HONDA-CBF-1000-DAL-2011-AL-2016/382880038305?hash=item59256dbda1:g:PX4AAOSwOgdYnHaB

Offline Kamboskid

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
  • Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
  • Country: Greece
Re: Fuel filter
« Reply #19 on: 07 October, 2019, 06:14:48 PM »

  Looking at his thread with great interest, Shed, I think you have the right idea about the cheap fix and 60 of anything is a lot cheaper than the amounts I have been quoted. As I said earlier my Biffer is running ok when just tootling around town but starts to fall off after prolonged use at motorway speeds so the idea of fitting this pump in the tank is a new one on me. Do you think it within the scope of the average diyer or is really work best done by a dealer?

 


Recent Posts

topic CBF 1000 weight
[CBF1000 - General Discussion]
moayling
Today at 11:32:24 AM
topic Standard cans
[For Sale Board]
iNCORRIGIBLE
19 November, 2019, 05:07:25 PM
topic Numerous items wanted
[Items Wanted]
Moose1
19 November, 2019, 03:38:27 AM
topic Mk2 Pannier stays ( and cases )
[Items Wanted]
Pan404
18 November, 2019, 09:55:56 PM
topic Top box and panniers
[For Sale Board]
templar7
18 November, 2019, 08:25:17 PM
topic Howdy - new Proud CBF1000 owner
[New Members]
Fair Weather rider
18 November, 2019, 08:06:35 PM
topic Hello guys
[New Members]
Shed
18 November, 2019, 07:17:39 PM
topic Bifferman is Back - Re-Registered on CBF1000 today (12/11/2019) as Bifferman 2
[New Members]
Rev Ken
17 November, 2019, 09:09:06 PM