Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain 2019  (Read 6189 times)

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Spain 2019
« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Boat in dry dock again! Sailing on 29th Santander To Plymouth cancelled. Couldn’t get on the Bilbao to Portsmouth on 29th, but got on the Bilbao to Portsmouth on 28th. That’s A total of four lost holiday days, plus all the messing about cancelling some hotels and booking others.

£110 refund for the mileage from Santander to Bilbao, and Plymouth to Portsmouth.

At least it won’t be a 2 day slog to St Malo.

Although we love coming to Spain, Brittany Ferries have no competition for the routes, so this could be the last trip we do down here.

:110:

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #31 on: 24 May, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
Sorry to hear of the problems with Brittany Ferries, but hope you had a great holiday. Unfortunately we  had to take the decision in 2016 that we would never travel to Spain with them again after 3 years of problems with their ferries and having to alter holiday dates, cancel hotels, alter routes to make up for lost days, threaten them with legal action (which worked in 2015 - were given lorry drivers cabins on the next ferry) etc. Never had those problems with the old LD line ferries, which used to be cheaper with bigger and better cabins and less facilities ( which we did not miss e.g. cinemas). It became obvious to us in 2016 that the Brittany ferries to Spain are on their last legs, and cannot be trusted  anymore - which your latest saga backs up. If I ever go back to Spain again (and I must say I really want to go back as I love the roads, culture and scenery etc) it would have to be with another ferry company ( none in existence at the moment) or the long route through France.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #32 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
We also had to change our plans in 2016 as well. We opted to go down through France, then diagonally across Northern Spain, into Portugal.

Luckily that year we were able to get back via Santander.

We were in Cadiz when we found out the Ferry from Santander was cancelled......via the Internet! Brittany Ferries didn’t contact us until yesterday.

We’ve been lucky getting on the Bilbao to Portsmouth, but a day earlier and a morning sail, so we need to be in Bilbao on Monday evening. In all we’ve lost out on 5 days holiday. Having a day off tomorrow, then two long days to Bilbao.  :110:

Spain is a fantastic country to tour on motorcycles. Will we be back.......not sure.

« Last Edit: 24 May, 2019, 08:50:13 PM by phild »

diverse-leafy