Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pannier Stopper Cords  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Pan404

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-2011,
  • City / Town: ELGIN
Pannier Stopper Cords
« on: 04 October, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
Managed to get myself a pair of used 33L panniers that match my bike. Only problem is that the stopper cords have been cut or are missing.

An online search has indicated that they are no longer available from Honda and I can't find any for sale.

Are any forum members aware of suitable alternatives or can you provide me with the correct length of the cord so I can make some up

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Pannier Stopper Cords
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »
Is this what you're after? If so, I can measure the cord lengths in the morning if you need specifics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-HONDA-PAN-PIAGGIO-VFR800-VTEC-REPLACEMENT-TOP-BOX-STOPPERS-STRAPS/283165167172?hash=item41edf58e44:g:7yoAAOxyiRlSbBYa

« Last Edit: 04 October, 2018, 11:08:06 PM by Shed »

Offline Pan404

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-2011,
  • City / Town: ELGIN
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks Shed

I'll send them an email and ask how long they are

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »
No probs.

Now you've got me thinking, I know the top box is cords, but now I can't recall what is in the panniers, cords or straps. I'll have to check it out in the morning now!

Seller also has listed pannier stuff so I'm sure they'll come up trumps for you.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »
Shed,
My pannier elastics are thin straps as opposed to cords, they are v shaped and there is a red interlocking clip in the middle. I have to say I never use them, and I can see why they have been cut out, as they are a nuisance when closing the lid. I have the inner bags, which are excellent, so much so, that my wife uses them as overnight bags when we go away in the car!
The pannier bag is made to measure and is easily inserted into the pannier and needs no strap to secure it. Only problem is that the pannier bags are over £40 each.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
No the check cords are something else - these limit the lid from opening far enough too far; much as they're needed they do always seem to get in the way!

Sorry mine are away now in their tucked away hidey-hole (not so accessible).

For the pannier inner bags - check out the bay (people are often selling them after moving their bike/luggage on) and givi 35s are a good match (lots of those and copies about).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »
Tommo, my panniers have exactly the same elastic straps as you, but they are still intact. I've rarely used the panniers, but I agree the internal bags are very useful outside of riding. They came with the bike so I didn't have to fork out any extra, but as you say, they are a bit steep for a fairly basic zipped bag.

If of use to anyone, the stopper cords are 6 inches long, and are exactly the same as shown in the ebay link I posted above. The end loops fit over little bobbins in the box & panniers. (Mine are the original Honda top box & panniers, dunno about other makes). It's the same 6 inch length for the pannier boxes, and the top box.

As a rough idea, with a 6 inch cord, the top box opens from closed horizontal up to approx 900, whereas the panniers open from closed vertical outward to approx 750, where at these points the stopper cord, er, stops.
« Last Edit: 05 October, 2018, 10:22:09 AM by Shed »

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
Think I have mistaken the cords that prevent the box opening too far, with the elstics that retain the luggage in place :430:

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tommo2 [+]
Think I have mistaken the cords that prevent the box opening too far, with the elstics that retain the luggage in place :430:

Yep it would seem that way  :001: but who cares, it's Friday, get yersel a pint :031:

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Thanks. Guinness please. 3pm. Wetherspoons, Stevenage.
 :031:

diverse-leafy