Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: speed limits  (Read 949 times)

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
speed limits
« on: 28 September, 2018, 11:32:13 PM »
Got back from holiday on south coast and received speeding ticket from Dorset police for doing 36mph in 30 zone on A337 in the car. Safety awareness course offered but in Dorset which is about 300 miles from where I live . Otherwise it is £100 fine and 3 penalty points. So, avoid Dorset if you don't live locally , unless you are familiar with the roads and speed limit zones.
ps isn't it easy to creep over 30 mph especially when you are looking where you are going and not looking out for speed cameras !

Offline Pan404

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: ELGIN
Re: speed limits
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:16:18 PM »
Did the notice of intended prosecution arrive within 14 days?

If not, you could always try the  Beckham excuse.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:19:45 PM »
Dorset have been operating a ‘No excuses’ policy and prosecute for all offences.

You should be able to transfer your course closer to home.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:51:29 PM »
Rang Dorset police and they said their course is only available in Dorset as they are not in the national scheme, which I took to mean it could not be transferred. (North Yorkshire police run this course about 3 miles from my home but no use if Dorset police won't allow it to be transferred - seems ridiculous and very unfair )
regards

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2018, 06:23:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leofric [+]
Got back from holiday on south coast and received speeding ticket from Dorset police for doing 36mph in 30 zone on A337 in the car. Safety awareness course offered but in Dorset which is about 300 miles from where I live . Otherwise it is £100 fine and 3 penalty points. So, avoid Dorset if you don't live locally , unless you are familiar with the roads and speed limit zones.
ps isn't it easy to creep over 30 mph especially when you are looking where you are going and not looking out for speed cameras !
Presumably it's the The Driver Awareness Scheme
https://www.dorsetroadsafe.org.uk/education-coursestraining/driver-awareness/

and signage of a 30 mph speed limit is the same everywhere in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Apart from that it does seem unreasonable to offer attendance in an 'awareness' course, but only within Dorset.
Having said that, several years ago I got caught speeding in a car (94mph, Cambridgeshire, national maximum speed limit dual carriageway, Police hand-held radar gun - the road was devoid of traffic, except me, which allowed them to catch me up from a standing start!) but wasn't offered an 'awareness' course and chose to accept the fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points instead of going to court.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2018, 10:00:18 PM »
I understand you have to take this in the police force area where your 'sin' was committed. At least I have read on other forums - particularly the Porsche Forum  :125: - that many drivers have had to travel long distances to 'repent of their sins'.
 However, no doubt various police forces do 'their own thing' so there might not be a common policy nationally, as suggested in your post.

Hope you get 'absolution'.... :016:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2018, 12:47:33 AM »
It would appear that financially the best option is to pay the £100. If you otherwise have a clean license, then 3 points won't hardly make any difference. Although you will, of course, have to inform your insurers (bike and car), most insurance companies don't penalise you for 3 points. However, that would be your insurance "life" used up and if you were to get clobbered for speeding again, that would in all likelihood mean that insurer's would increase their premiums. And if it's within 3 years (think that's right from memory) you won't get the option of a course again.

So, it's down to whether you might get another speeding problem really. If you don't in the next 4 years (the time the 3 points stay on your licence) then the gamble of taking the points and £100 is a winner. So, as Clint would say, "do you feel lucky, punk?"  :015:

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
I prayed for forgiveness Rev Ken but The Lord did not respond.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Leofric [+]
I prayed for forgiveness Rev Ken but The Lord did not respond.
So the answer was  :182: :192: ??
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »
£100 & 3 points.
Dorset ,plus Hampshire and London I understand, are not part of the national speed awareness scheme and operate their own schemes for their areas. Dorset trip would involve 600 miles round trip and one overnight stay.
Regards Leofric

diverse-leafy