Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Difficult starting,won,t idle, battery died.  (Read 716 times)

Offline Mikeyh66

• Bike: CBF1000 A6
  • City / Town: RHYMNEY
Difficult starting,won,t idle, battery died.
« on: 26 September, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Hi everyone, just got back into biking after 14 yrs off and bought a cbf1000. Had few months now nice bike but went to go for ride this morning and bike wouldnt start and when it did it had trouble idling and then stalling. Strong petrol smell and battery died. ANY HELP REALLY APPRECIATED. :183:

Offline duggers

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: London
Re: Difficult starting,won,t idle, battery died.
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
I'd be checking for a failed stator, check ac volts between stator outputs, should be over 40v AC at 4k rpm or so, and should all be about the same value. Ian

Offline Mikeyh66

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
Thanks for that. Will try to have a look the weekend and go from there. The stator is what i was thinking after reading online.CHEERS.

Offline Mikeyh66

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
Weird one this, took battery off and gave it a good charge and in that time purchased a multimeter to correctly check voltage. Put back on and misfired for about 3 seconds then started purring like a kitten. Checked battery again this morning and before starting 12.9 volts and 2000rpm nearly 14.0 volts. I,m hoping it was just flat battery but funny running problem before this. FINGERS CROSSED. :152:

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Sounds like the battery MIGHT not be receiving a full charge when it's on the bike? If it ran well with a fully charged battery but started to run rough after a few miles or hours then that could be the problem. If so, the Stator might be on it's way out. It's also worth checking the rectifier as well (which is under the left-hand side rear bodywork panel, near the grab handle).

My Stator started to fail in June and the bike ran for about 2 hours after a bump start but then started to run like a dog once the battery lost it's charge and before finally giving up completely. I replaced the Stator and the Rectifier at the same time.

Offline davyayr

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Prestwick
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
No expert here, but my bike showed very similar problems and eventually died on me......MK 1

Bike was just over the 7 years deadline where Honda would replace the stator and flywheel FOC with upgraded parts.

A dealer will be able to confirm if stator is gubbed and any warranty claim will need their confirmation.....1/2 hrs labour in my case.

Best you get dealer to check and if stator/ rectifier is identified as the problem, go the warranty route, as far as the stator is concerned.

Retail, the cost to repair stator fault is the best part of £1k using Honda sourced parts........inc labour.... :087: :087:

Have a look for more info

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,18550.90.html

Cheers

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • nabijen te........
  • Bike: cbf1000f
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »
it's not a stator........
14V on 2000rpm is ok..............
ae..............

Offline TerryR

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000 Red
  • City / Town: Glomel
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
The trouble with any CBF problem is that everybody always jumps immediately to the alternator.

If this was any other bike, they would probably say that you flooded it and flattened your battery trying to start it and that's what it sounds like to me. The CBF is notoriously easy to flood on starting. Never, ever, touch the throttle when starting - it should be completely closed.

If you've got 14V at 2000 RPM, your alternator and charging circuit are fine.

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
Welcome back onto two wheels.

Strong petrol smell probably means you flooded it. Battery died probably because you persisted on the starter motor when it failed to start. It's easy done and it doesn't take too long to drain a motorcycle battery. However, since it now has a fully charged battery, it's running and you're getting a healthy 14v at 2,000 RPM there's probably no real need to check the charging system, or anything else, any further.

I'd suspect there's nothing more sinister here than an incorrect starting procedure.

If you do want to check further, especially since the motorcycle is new to you, your time will be better spent checking through the service history. Just to know where you are when it comes to service items such as replacement oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid etc. 

Offline Mikeyh66

« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
Just an update on my problem. Been on two ride outs over 90 mins with no problems and not started for 2 weeks until today when got bike out and fired up sweet as a nut. So hopefully the problem was a low battery and i flooded it ( cant believe its so easy to flood ) :013: Need a boat here at the moment though weather so bad.

diverse-leafy