Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: cbf 1000 fa gear switching  (Read 843 times)

Offline marc_corryn

• Bike: cbf1000fa 2013
  • City / Town: brussels
cbf 1000 fa gear switching
« on: 22 September, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
hi, i am new driver since this year with this wonderful bike, had before an aprilia shiver 750 for 6 years.
i wanted an 4 cilynder with abs and good windscreen.
i love riding this bike, its powerful, lots of torque wide range in revs
i just wonder the switching up of the gears from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 happens very smooth without any noise.
the switching up to 1st and 2 and 3 when the engine is cold makes a bit of noise but seems acceptable, but once the engine is on working temperature especially switching to 2 is very loud
and sometimes , the switching back to 1st or N is nearly impossible, i have to release partly the clutch
are these fenomenes known, is this normal, what could be the cause and solution.
just before buying this 1000 , i bought an cbf 600 from 2011. for this bike i bought an gear indicator
it was easy to instal and quiet evident. trying to move this indicator to the 1000 didn't work, i could not find the connector close to the ecu

Offline stergios

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
Re: cbf 1000 fa gear switching
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
welcome !
the noise is acceptable in gear changes its a bike it makes a loud noise 1st and 2nd unless you find the sweet spot.

but difficullty to change gear is not.

a) Either your engine oil is for a change

or

b) you have to take out the gear linkages for cleaning and lubrication. search the forum for this

and

c) the connector for the ecu is under the front seat (red cap on it)

Offline marc_corryn

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2018, 07:58:32 AM »
ok thanks i wil look once more for the red cap
this gear linkage cleaning an lubrication is to be done by a mechanic with experience i suppose

Offline stergios

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by marc_corryn [+]
ok thanks i wil look once more for the red cap
this gear linkage cleaning an lubrication is to be done by a mechanic with experience i suppose

input ---> gear linkage

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=search2

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:35:08 PM »
It might also be worth  bleeding the clutch hydraulics.

Malc

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2018, 07:46:19 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Marc,

If you have the CBF1000 FA, it is the newer model CBF, then the ECU Data Link is under the tank, not under the seat. You can access by removing the right side (when sitting on the bike) plastic panel. It is the only red plastic connector on top of the loom, it is a bit awkward to find and connect up. Mr Honda had covered mine in black insulation tape, making it harder to find.
There are good photos on this forum showing the data link, if you search around. 

Tommo2

Offline marc_corryn

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2018, 05:51:02 PM »
ok thanks, i wil look for it as soon as i have some time,
i had on my previous bike this indication and i mis it.
i very often try to take the seventh gear, or don't know in what gear i am riding since this bike has so much torque !!!
a question to stergios, you talked about the sweet spot, what is this and how do you find it
i am able on some cars to switch gears without clutch or by double clutching to switch easier, i drove very old cars in the army without servo, but how do you do this on a bike

Offline marc_corryn

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
i am sorry, i meant synchornised gear box and not servo, sorry
these where very old bedford trucks and jeeps ( willys), not easy in the beginning.

Offline stergios

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by marc_corryn [+]
ok thanks, i wil look for it as soon as i have some time,
i had on my previous bike this indication and i mis it.
i very often try to take the seventh gear, or don't know in what gear i am riding since this bike has so much torque !!!
a question to stergios, you talked about the sweet spot, what is this and how do you find it
i am able on some cars to switch gears without clutch or by double clutching to switch easier, i drove very old cars in the army without servo, but how do you do this on a bike

For me the sweet spot in gear change for this bike (depends on the engine temp when still cold i dont use high revs) is about 4500rpm close to 5000.
Many times when the engine is warm i dont use while upshifting the clutch at all.
On the other hand i change oil every 3000 klms and use motul 7100. (i get it wholesale in my workspace)

Clunking is expected though especialy in first not a syncro mesh gearbox so... dont worry it doesnt break.