Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: starting problems  (Read 1912 times)

Offline robinson

• Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: newcastle
starting problems
« on: 21 September, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
hi, has anyone had any starting problems with there cbf ? sometime my bike will start first touch of the button and other times the engine will turn over and over then just manage to start, does  it weather the engine is hot or cold. any ideas what the prob is ??

Offline Slowly

Re: starting problems
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
Happens the same for me. No diffference if hot cold or warm. If sitting for long or for a minute. No idea why

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »
It's generally because it's slightly flooded. I find it happens if:

1. I've turned the ignition on and the off with the kill switch off so the fuel pump runs. That pokes fuel down the inlet and floods the plugs (sometimes).

2. I start the bike from cold and then stop it within about 3 seconds. That pokes loads of fuel (as it's cold) down the inlet and not all of it burns off.

Do either of those scenarios ring a bell?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
(1) kill switch off - as in the switch is set to RUN (as opposed eng stop) ??

- It is always awkward to have a 'off switch' selected 'on' (in this case to kill).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
Yes, set to Run. That way, the fuel pump whirrs away when you turn on the ignition.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Veloman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda Deauville
  • City / Town: Nr Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
Don't ask me why or how as I cant make sense of it but I had exactly the same problem until I changed my "technique" from starting with the side stand down to starting with the stand up. With stand up it starts easily on first press of starter.  With stand down it still starts but only after several attempts, sometimes almost to the point where it seems the battery is getting tired.  Keep meaning to have a closer look at side stand switch and clean but haven't got around to it.

Offline nomadd

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Veloman [+]
Don't ask me why or how as I cant make sense of it but I had exactly the same problem until I changed my "technique" from starting with the side stand down to starting with the stand up. With stand up it starts easily on first press of starter.  With stand down it still starts but only after several attempts, sometimes almost to the point where it seems the battery is getting tired.  Keep meaning to have a closer look at side stand switch and clean but haven't got around to it.

Yep, had exactly the same issue. Even tried a new side-stand from eBay. Same issue; bike was a nightmare to start.

In the end, I simply shorted the side-stand pins together at the connector under the fairing. That was 2 years ago and I've not had a problem since.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »
Yep I agree with Alan's comments. Had similar issues in the past now careful to turn the kill switch off if i just turn the ignition on without wanting to start the bike (just checking the mileage for instance).
Pete

Offline spanners

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000a
  • City / Town: macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
I've had the same issue with mine, I even changed the crank position sensor. A lot better but occasionally plays silly buggers. It had a phase of starting better when upright but at the mo its fine starting on the side stand. I start it the same way as I have always done (bought new 9 years ago), I turn the key on and wait for the pump to stop then press the button

Offline bocca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Belgrade
« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
mine turns exactlly 3 times before starting. after a fair amount of riding, that drops to two turns.

I find it odd, as my TDM 4tx starts right up every time. Might have something to do with how FI works? :112:

diverse-leafy