Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Balancing weight removal after exhaust swap  (Read 648 times)

Offline Slowly

Balancing weight removal after exhaust swap
« on: 09 September, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
I found out on this review of the Mk2:  https://www.moto.it/prove/honda-cbf-1000.html (Italian) That Honda added a steel weight on the left close to the side stand to balance the weight of the single sided exhaust. Also the rear sprocket is "full" for the same reason. Is it then common practice to remove this weight when swapping exhaust? Anybody done it before?
« Last Edit: 09 September, 2018, 11:01:29 AM by Slowly »

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Balancing weight removal after exhaust swap
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »
ROUGH TRANSLATION OF SLOWLY'S LINK ABOVE

Honda CBF 1000 Pleasant surprise

January 22, 2010 - The Honda CBF1000 becomes more attractive, powerful and gritty, to tickle even younger users. Very pleasant to use, it costs 9.800 euros, or 10.500 in the ST version, with bags and ABS as standard

Honda CBF 1000

The Honda CBF1000 debuted in 2006, in the wake of the younger sisters CBF500 (twin-cylinder) and 600 , to satisfy a mainly "European" rather than "Italian" user. This seemingly nonsensical distinction alludes to the fact that the motion of this kind (the same as Suzuki Bandit, for example) have always been the most popular French and northern Europe by the user, rather than here, especially in versions of the largest displacement. The CBF1000 , in particular, according to Ancma data (which strangely - as indeed in the same site of Honda Italy - catalog it as "naked") is ranked 76th in the Italian motorcycle sales standings in 2009: they have been registered 346, more or less all in the hands of decidedly mature users.

The main goal of the project is therefore CBF1000 2010 was to raise the popularity rating of this decidedly polyvalent model, ringiovanendone the image through a marked aesthetic and technical restyling which, in addition to yield additional cavalry, it has also greatly improved the dynamic gifts. We remember this bike is totally flour sack Honda Italy, whose factory Atessa Abruzzo, among other things, from April will become the largest in Europe for the House of Tokyo , since it will be built will also previously assembled models in Spain .

Of course, even the new CBF will still be able to choose between the standard version and the ST, equipped with a series of 29-liter suitcases and combined ABS. The latter will be available only in silver (Quasar Silver Metallic) or black (Pearl Nightstar Black), at the price of 10,500 euros ex-dealer. The other is in the list at € 9,800 , even in the eye-catching colors white (Pearl Cool White) and yellow (Pearl Amber Yellow).

New air

The renewed sport-tourer Honda has actually become more palatable, starting from the look, notoriously the first thing we find ourselves judging by examining a motorcycle. The new semi-fairing, more streamlined and aerodynamic, exhibits the aggressive look of the CBR600RR, from which it inherits the two headlights; perfectly integrated at its sides, moreover, it houses new directional indicators combined with the position lights. The choice to mount the position lights out of the central optical unit and spaced between them (already adopted on the Fireblade and VFR 1200, which incorporate them in the body of the rear-view mirrors) "allows a perception of the speed more real by drivers in driving night ".

A new led light appears instead at the end of a codon, also redesigned, like the side panels and the same saddle, more tapered at the front to improve ergonomics. The tank derives from the one of the CB1000R, slightly hunched to increase its capacity from 18 to 20 liters (one more, compared to the previous CBF ). The new Plexiglas is not only wider than the previous one, but also adjustable in height - on four positions instead of two , for a total of 15 centimeters (instead of 5) - simply by pushing it up or down. The handlebar instead is no longer adjustable , because, it seems, the thing was considered "uninteresting". But the saddle is still there, which can be raised or lowered by 15 mm from the base value of 795 mm from the ground.

Beautiful also the new instrumentation, inspired by that of the VFR1200 as the arrangement of the elements: rev counter in the center and two digital displays on the sides, including the computer that indicates instantaneous consumption , the average one and the relative residual mileage. Above the dashboard is the parade of lights, but the reserve is missing. This function is carried out by the same digital fuel level indicator, whose last segment becomes intermittent when five liters remain in the tank.

The engine

That it is a weakened variant of that of the Fireblade is certainly not a mystery. Now he wanted to give a little 'more cavalry, just to combine a more lively character with a slender and less serious aesthetic than the previous one. Working on camshafts, compression ratio, injection calibration and on the new single exhaust, more than 9 horsepower have jumped out , a more generous delivery to the middle rpm and a much more lively extension until the beginning of the red zone , at 10,000 rounds. Despite this, consumption would have been reduced by about 7%.

The large silencer contains two trivalent catalysts, while an oxidizing pre-catalyst is incorporated in the previous section of collector. The exhaust system is also equipped with an electromechanical valve, which works in conjunction with the system which in turn modulates the intake of air into the airbox. These are now obligatory solutions, on larger engines, from increasingly restrictive approvals, also in phonometric terms: their aim is in fact that of optimizing the cleanliness of supply at low and medium engine speeds, while adequately silencing the engine.

It should also be considered that all the gear ratios have been slightly shortenedto make the most of the new delivery curves. The ratios of the primary and final transmissions are instead unchanged.

Turning to numbers, the new CBF1000 boasts 107.5 horsepower (74 kW) at 9,000 rpm, with a torque of 9.8 kgm (96 Nm) at 6,500 . Average declared consumption is 18.4 km / liter (normalized WMTC cycle). As for the CB1000R, the top speed has been electronically limited to 230 effective times (just under 250 indicated), which should correspond to around 8,600 rpm. In order not to disturb the driving, the limiter intervenes very gradually, thanks to the cooperation between the injection and the ignition advance.

The chassis

As already happened on the CBF600, here also comes the new aluminum alloy frame, derived from CB1000R. Consisting of three parts welded together, this single-girder frame (to which the engine is practically hung) is cast in gravity using molds designed by Honda Italia: a very complex technology - introduced with the first CBR600RR but previously tested on the RC211V prototype from MotoGP - which guarantees a higher molecular density than a similar die-cast structure, and therefore greater rigidity, combined with the lower weight allowed by the possibility of using thinner thicknesses.
Compared to the CB1000R here we change the weight distribution, because the engine is mounted differently, using special plates, to optimize the balance of a different bike like the CBF. The greatest care in balancing was the main technical target, in redefining this bike: for example, to offset the massive single silencer, a steel plate was applied applied at the bottom left, near the easel; and the same "full" transmission crown, though not beautiful to see, was chosen for the same purpose.

The new CBF1000 boasts 107.5 horsepower (74 kW) at 9,000 rpm, with a torque of 9.8 kgm (96 Nm) at 6,500
A very classic rear swingarm in steel drives a HMAS cartridge shock absorber, now adjustable, as well as in preload (on seven shots), even in hydraulics in extension . The same fork, always with 41 mm stems, is equipped with spring preload registers . The smoothness of the suspension (both with 120 mm of excursion) is also very accurate , moreover calibrated more sportily than previously. The brakes remain unchanged, with 296 mm front discs and four-piston calipers on the standard CBF, and six-piston calipers on the ST, which is fitted as standard with the ABS combined with the CBF combined system. In this case, the rear brake pedal (240 mm disc, single piston caliper)it also activates the central piston of the right front caliper , while the lever on the handlebar pushes the other five front pistons.

Be noted that behind the CBF still mounts a radial 160 / 60x17 "- choice also desired to allow the customer to save on replacement. But also that this bike, which I tried with Bridgestone BT57, is also available with the special Continental Road Attack , made on specific Honda specifications with materials and angles of inclination of different canvases, and which are also much lighter than the versions standard , to the advantage of the handling of the bike. The declared weight for the CBF1000 is 245 kg in running order, which should go down to around 230 with an empty tank.

Let's enjoy the CBF1000

The test of the new CBF1000 was organized on the Spanish island of Majorca, the land of Jorge Lorenzo. The first approach with the CBF1000 is already positive: in the saddle - intermediate height, standard - I find myself immediately at ease , a comfortable posture that immediately puts me in a good mood despite greyish weather. Everything seems in the right place, the levers on the handlebars are adjustable, the instruments are perfectly legible, the legs are well put.
The engine, which turns sly to a minimum, seems to purr like a big cat happy to start playing, so let's satisfy it immediately, and willingly. The clutch control is soft, like the accelerator , inside the first and on, to discover the scenic roads that start from Palma.

In less than a hundred meters I have already quickly put all six gears together and I'm trotting to 2,000 laps in sixth, with the engine that seems electric. The gearbox is practically perfect: silent, fluid and precise , it is easy to understand that using it is just one of the pleasures that the new CBF is able to provide to its rider: in fact, it immediately proves very balanced, showing that even here, as on VFR1200, the operation "perceived lightness" is perfectly successful , so that it really seems to ride a medium displacement. Among other things, the favorable steering angle facilitates a lot of maneuvers in confined spaces.

It is early morning, the coastal and mountain roads of the island are very beautiful, but still very wet and slippery to let go as you would like, also because the Bridgestone are still chilly. However, it is already clear to me that this is one of those motorcycles that almost curves with thoughtwithout having to force it. You drive instinctively and everything seems easy, it seems to know it forever, so it is easy and harmonious to drive. The new engine has a nice character, manages to recover in sixth even from less than 1,500 rpm, and has a good delivery curve right away: on the mixed you move quickly in the third / fourth with the tachometer around 3,000, but wanting could also safely keep the sixth fixed. The boost already increases beyond 2,000 rpm, from where it strengthens with a nice progression up to the maximum torque regime (just over 6,000 rpm indicated), and from there onwards it becomes gritty up to the limiter, which in low gears active discreet around 10,500 rpm. A nice full-bodied and satisfyingly gritty enginein short, that lovers of the monoruota will certainly like it.

It is very tasty to drive the CBF1000 without the slightest effort - the front end is very sincere, and the "narrow" rear tire is certainly helpful in this sense - but it is just as fun to put salt on the tail and use it as a sport along the beautiful mixed mountain stretches with good asphalt, where the tires hold and the chassis unleashes dynamic qualities to envy the same CB1000R - indeed, here the rear shock seems to me much better calibrated - maintaining an enviable balance, with more folds that satisfactory, by the way.

The frame is a rock, the suspensions have a standard calibration that would define "comfortably sporty" and do not show unpleasant reactions, such as boring pumping and excessive load transfers, gently absorbing some bumps, even in full curve, without decomposing the bike, which remains always well controlled even braking hard. Beloved playmates are also the brakes , in fact, that in front of the first look like pyroclums in the initial phase - typical of the ABS / CBS system, which equipped all the bike of the test - but that once you get your hand turned out to be very valid. The rear has excellent modulation, and this greatly facilitates the management of the trajectories , especially on wet or dirty surfaces, also because, thanks to the combined braking,the cornering bike remains more balanced ; but even the front pair works absolutely satisfactorily. But this plaudit certainly deserves this ABS too: he is there, and he works really well, but it is difficult to perceive his intervention , even by sticking to the desperate brakes to simulate the classic emergency cut off.

We talk about comfort . The saddle is not from pharaonic granturismo, but it is well shaped and rather comfortable; and even the passenger is not set up badly (but with a trunk to lean on will be even better): convenient, among other things, the peg that prevents him from resting the right heel on the silencer.

The height-adjustable windscreen is obviously useful: when you go for a walk you can also keep it all down, at least up to 120 hours indicated, then each will adapt it to your needs. At maximum height, a medium-sized driver will feel the air flow over his helmet and shoulders, with good protection at least up to 160 hours.

Vibrations? Up to 5,000 revolutions or so little they do not feel, then, slowly, they start to manifest themselves progressively, first on the platforms and then, especially climbing at high regimes, even under the horse. I did not find them boring, but it should be verified over long distances, at constant highway speeds. Please note that in sixth, at 140 times indicated, the tachometer is stationed just over 5,000 rpm.

We close with consumption. During our test, the on-board computer detected an average of about 7 liters per 100 km , or 14 km / liter. By checking the average instantaneous consumption while driving, taking a discrete step on a nice mixed stretch, without exaggerating with the gas and with the gearbox, it is however quite easy to stabilize on a comforting "5.5 lt / 100 km".

Ultimately, this is a bike that knows how to give good satisfaction in everyday use as in vacationers' caps, loads like mules, rather than for having fun to drive where you can. In short, an excellent handyman, which I highly recommend to try even the skeptics . You never know ...

Cor blimey me hearties, reading this 'almost' makes me want to buy another Biff - MKII of course, definately an improved bike over what was already a winner.  Now off to do some more restoration work on 'Bridget' :038:

Online Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »
Well done Bifferman for the translation, and Slowly for sharing it. Really good assessment of the CBF. This is another I found some time ago:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/2740160/Hondas-dark-horse.html
It is refreshing to see that some journos assess bikes for the real world, and not just performance.

Offline Slowly

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
Well I found my answer in this YouTube video
(German only). Yes there is a 2.5 kg piece of metal just to balance the weight of the single sided exhaust. Should be removed with an aftermarket exhaust

Offline Veloman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda Deauville
  • City / Town: Nr Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
Changed my standard silencer for a Leo Vince some years ago and wasn't aware there was a balancing weight on the other side!  I've looked for it but blowed if I can find it!  Couldn't understand the German youtube and it seemed to me to relate to a different bike?  Am I just having a bad day?  Wouldn't mind losing 2.5Kg off the bike its too heavy as it is!

Offline Slowly

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Here's a pic of the location of the piece and where the 2 screws to take it out are. German Youtuber speaks English and he's quick to answer if you need a hand.

Offline Veloman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:43:15 PM »
Thanks for that Slowly, I'll have another (closer) look in the morning.😊

Offline Veloman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »
Have now removed the part.  Cant say i have noticed any difference but if, with the Leo Vince exhaust fitted it is unnecessary weight then removing it must be a good thing.  Can anyone suggest any other redundant parts I can remove ?  Preferably about 40Kgs..... :001:

Online Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
As a follower of CBF fashion, I thought I would look at this whilst changing the rear brake pads this morning. (Why do the fiddley spung steel things always ping out when I do the brakes, not like it says in the manual?)
Anyway, sussed out that the balance weight is held on with the sidestand mounting bolts, and removed it. It would seem it may also act as a 6mm (or thereabouts) spacer for the sidestand, so when I put the sidestand down, it seems the bike leans over a bit more. Don't know if this is good or bad yet. I may be wrong, and its an optical illusion, but I have noticed the bike was rather upright when on sidestand in the past. So may be good. Time will tell. Here's a challenge for the CBF techno geeks, what is the new lean angle???
 :mfrlol:
« Last Edit: 16 September, 2018, 11:59:46 AM by Tommo2 »