Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery not charging.  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBFthou MK1
  • City / Town: Soton
Battery not charging.
« on: 01 September, 2018, 12:10:49 AM »
Hi guys I need some advice. Tonight when I started my bike to go home from work the battery led was amber and riding home was flashing.
I changed the alternator a few months back and all has been ok up to now. Bike is ten years old, should I change the battery and reg/rec unit? I put the charger on and battery went straight to charge where before it always went quickly to maintain and green for charged.
 All the way home the headlight didn't dim at all and all electrics worked but I did feel a slight loss of power.
Any ideas what to check please.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Battery not charging.
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Quark [+]
Hi guys I need some advice. Tonight when I started my bike to go home from work the battery led was amber and riding home was flashing.
I changed the alternator a few months back and all has been ok up to now. Bike is ten years old, should I change the battery and reg/rec unit? I put the charger on and battery went straight to charge where before it always went quickly to maintain and green for charged.
 All the way home the headlight didn't dim at all and all electrics worked but I did feel a slight loss of power.
Any ideas what to check please.
Those symptoms suggest (to me) that the charging system (including the AC Generator = Alternator, comprising Rotor & Stator, plus the Regulator/Rectifier) is probably OK, but the battery may be beyond accepting a full charge.
Easiest quick fix is a new battery, but, if you have a multimeter, it's almost as quick to first do a check on the charging system.
See the workshop manual.....
http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-18%20BATTERY-CHARGING%20SYSTEM.pdf
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »
Thanks Richard , I'll replace the battery and post if it's sorted the problem.

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
New battery and revving to 2k went green for a short while, but went out for a ride and now constantly green and amber flashing.

Would it suggest reg/rec? as the alternator's been changed. I'll have to get my meter out and test the unit reading from the link you provided.
« Last Edit: 03 September, 2018, 02:41:11 PM by Quark »

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »
Today I fitted a new reg/rec as when testing the old one the numbers from the 3 pins were all different when testing one way.
Fitted the voltage warning led direct to the battery and the light showed green, all good, so I went for a ride and the bike was running smoothly. A few miles on and the amber light started flashing on and off and the bike felt slightly rough.

My suspicions tell me the new stator is now to blame, maybe in the very hot weather it cooked? But why then did the led show green and the bike run well for the first few miles? When the engines cooled I'll take it off and have a look.

Anyone any ideas?
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2018, 01:05:04 PM by Quark »

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
Stator check:

On idle or in cue's  my bike goes amber light too, but when picking up revs then it rises again and sure never power loss.
If I was riding 10 minutes in cue, then it needs like few minutes until it reaches full voltage again (I've a dash volt meter too).
I hope your oil level is quite good and preferably topped to max indicator for best stator cooling, and best cooling of stator is guaranteed by revving up.

Check out that stator!!
I hope you find the issue.

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
Testing between all 3 pins from the alternator reads 0.5 ohms.
However with the negative lead on the neg battery terminal the pins read between 0.5 - 0.8 ohm, and in a youtube video the guy says this should be 0 for all 3 pins?

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
Testing between all 3 pins from the alternator reads 0.5 ohms.
That looks good!

Now between each wire and "earth":

You should have NO reading by holding:
* one pin on the batt-negative (or a good clean chassis point);
* one pin in 1 of the 3 stator wires. (unplugged!!)

So you can make 3 measures that way, keeping one pin on the negative.

No reading means the meter display does not change between 2 open measure pins in the sky, and making the measurement.
The resistance should be not zero, but infinite (if that exist).
There should be no electrical contact between each stator wire and the batt negative!!!

You said alternator was few months old, is it a honda genuine?
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2018, 05:59:04 PM by J-man »

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
That looks good!

Now between each wire and "earth":

You should have NO reading by holding:
* one pin on the batt-negative (or a good clean chassis point);
* one pin in 1 of the 3 stator wires. (unplugged!!)

So you can make 3 measures that way, keeping one pin on the negative.

No reading means the meter display does not change between 2 open measure pins in the sky, and making the measurement.
The resistance should be not zero, but infinite (if that exist).
There should be no electrical contact between each stator wire and the batt negative!!!

You said alternator was few months old, is it a honda genuine?

Using a multimeter is very confusing, one slight movement and the figures shoot up and down, from 0.l to in the hundreds! I had to test many times. If I placed a lead on the chassis it often read 0.l, but put it on the neg lead and it would show around 0.7.
I took the alternator out and one winding is black and the insulation on the wires is broken in one place. It's a non genuine replacement. I phoned the company I bought it from and they've asked for photos so hopefully I may be sent a free replacement as it's only 6 months old.
So it's lasted approximately 2k miles!
The annoying thing is I thought I'd properly tested the reg/rec but it was the stator all along.
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2018, 06:56:07 PM by Quark »

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
I hope they send a new for free.

diverse-leafy