Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Jack of all trades  (Read 869 times)

Offline mrgrumpy2

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Ex 1200
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Jack of all trades
« on: 22 August, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
The longer I own my CBF, the more I appreciate that it's a jack of all trades.

Finding a motorcycle that's not designed to fit a category and that has reasonable real road power with touring ability and has reasonable pillion and luggage provision without weighing as much as the Titanic.

I have reached the point where I feel better it's better value for money to upgrade the CBF rather than change bike as every other bike has more comprises than the CBF.

Maybe I still have rose tinted glasses after 2 years and 12000 miles?

Yes I may like a bigger screen for touring Scotland in April before the midges hatch. Yes I may like fully adjustable suspension. But I would have to give something too much.

The  Yamaha Tracer 900 GT is not as smooth, lacks low revs grunt and weather protection.

The Ducati Multistrada lacks pillion space.

The GSA is too big.

I'm looking forward to my next ride on my CBF. Maybe I should try Scotland in September after the midges stop biting?

Upgrading to Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Offline Samuel Platt

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: North West Lancs
Re: Jack of all trades
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »
 I traded my Mk2 for a new Tiger Sport 1050 last week, early impressions are good, comfortable,  good power delivery,  similar weight, tank size etc,  better brakes, around 10% more power than the CBF. OE luggage available or the usual aftermarket kit, also comes with the Euro4 ride by wire controls with TC, power modes and cruise control as standard, the only obvious downside is seat height and adjustability. 

Offline MrB

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
I traded my 2008 Mk1 in against a 2013 Tiger Sport in 2016.  I had the TTS just over a year.  Agree that is very comfortable for touring but I found it too top heavy for me when cornering.  I had a lowering kit fitted as I am only 5' 7".  I run it a year, before trading it in for a MK2 CBF, more than happy to be back on a CBF. 

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »
We looked at Triumph’s back in 2012, before I got my MK2 and my wife settled for another CBF600SA (both new pre-reg)........servicing costs were eye wateringly expensive.

:028:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
I upgraded the rear suspension when the rear shock was 'shot' due to the goat tracks we have around here with a reconditioned Ohlin set-up and replaced the front springs with Hagon progressive rate springs for around £100. It made my Biffer 'perfect' for me, well as near as any bike I've owned or wanted to own and was just sad I had to change it after 7 years due to 'old age' (me not the bike!). I did a lot more to it, and the only 'extra' I would have liked is an electrically adjustable windscreen. The rest was just me having fun refining it with HID lights, bar risers, bigger screen etc etc.

I'm sure these bikes are good for 100,000 miles or more with just that one weakness, the stator, and now that has been fixed I can't think of a more reliable bike.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline mrgrumpy2

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Ex 1200
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2018, 12:14:39 PM »
Moving on.

I have agreed to PX my mk1 CBF for a 2012 Tiger Explorer 1200. I had reached the point where I had to decide between upgrades or a bike swap. Having tried some other adventure tourers the upgrades to the CBF where at the top of my list but then I took the wife on a test ride of the Triumph. It was so much more to us then any other bike we had ridden. Good power, good comfort and good handling. I pick up the Tiger next weekend.
Upgrading to Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Enjoy! :152:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

diverse-leafy