Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MK1 Reliability on long tours?  (Read 797 times)

Offline geckotb

• Bike: MK1 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Calgary
MK1 Reliability on long tours?
« on: 14 August, 2018, 11:21:47 PM »
I'm planning a ride to Alaska next summer.
I have owned and ridden older classic bikes for years and and figured a more modern bike would be more up to the challenge. After reading a bunch of reviews, and being a Honda fan, I recently bought a CBF. The best local deal I found was on a MK1 with 22,000km.

However, after reading about stator failures on this site for the last few days, I'm now worried about whether it'll be reliable enough for the trip. Maybe I'm making myself paranoid? Even if I carry a spare stator with me, do experienced members of the forum and MK1 owners think I should sell my MK1 and look for a MK2? Or have some of you gone on long 8 to 10,000km rides on your MK1's and made it home to tell about it?

Not looking for guarantees, but just a general sense of whether this is the right bike at all for me to keep as a long-distance tourer.

Offline TerryR

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000 Red
  • City / Town: Glomel
Re: MK1 Reliability on long tours?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »
Mine's been from Hadrian's wall to mid-Portugal (not all in one go though!) It's also been all over France. All of this two-up and loaded with luggage and it's never missed a beat.

The stator issue is a problem but it's one I don't choose to worry about - if mine ever goes, I will worry about it then. I might come to regret this decision but we shall see... If it worries you, carry a spare stator, they are easy enough to change.

Other than that, the Mk I is a very fine touring bike. Go for it!

Offline geckotb

• Bike: MK1 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
Thanks, Terry! Only had it a couple weeks but I absolutely love the CBF so definitely prefer to keep it.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
I did a 6,000 mile tour through Europe, the Balkans and back through the UK fully loaded and had no problems at all. I carried a spare stator and a second CBF1000 (Mk1) did have a failure and it was changed at the roadside with just a normal tool kit. If you have any doubts, take a spare! My bike is now on 37,000 miles (I think as my son now has it) and it is still going strong.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:46:29 PM »
Or if you like, just change it ahead.  Then you can sleep soundly knowing it has been changed - and have a free spare to take with you!

MKIIs are great but I don't know if I'd swap it out just for a potential failure of any kind.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »
I've bought a spare reg reg and genny, for the space they take up it's worth taking. they'll sit at the bottom of a panier and only come out if needed,  :156:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
I recommend taking a spare Stator and possibly a spare rectifier.
Mine let me down in June, 8 days into an 11 day trip to Croatia and back.
My bike was repatriated from Austria 3 weeks later.
£120 for the Stator, £90 for the rectifier. Both were knackered.
I fitted them myself, very easy job, and as others have said it’s a roadside fix.
Probably 45 mins work at the most.
You also need a tube of RV glue for the engine side case but it’s only £6.
I reckon spending £220 on spare parts, just in case, is well worth the peace of mind  :018:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Well the Chinese replacement has arrived, as I said, I'm going to keep it as a spare, and only use it as a last resort, hopefully I won't need it, with this and the genny together they dont take that much space at all  :020:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

diverse-leafy