Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Horn replacement  (Read 313 times)

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bangor
Horn replacement
« on: 13 August, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
So my MOT is tomorrow, bike was in workshop for fork seals (again) and they noted the horn was not working.

They have been unable to get a horn from their parts place today. 

Will a standard 12V Ring horn for a car from halfrauds or similar fit it or do I need a particular type of horn?

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Horn replacement
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
Deffo not fuse, wires, connectors? Dodgy earth or dodgy live at the horn end?

If it is horn unit itself, you can collect bog standard one from eurocarparts for a tenner. Add to basket & use the discount code.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/replacement-horn
« Last Edit: 13 August, 2018, 05:26:19 PM by Shed »

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
They apparently got it fixed again, something about the connection being corroded so they put a new terminal on it.

The list of bad news about the bike is disheatening though.  It's basically been killed by being kept out doors :(

To restore it we are looking at thousands.  Most cables, headlight reflectors, most exposed fixings, chain, head bearings, stansions, etc. etc. etc.  So plan is to squeeze it through the MOT the next two years till I get a house with a garage and then buy a new one.  Probably a Valdero 1000 or similar.

She's not done bad.  28,000 miles, 11 year old.  Kept outside for the last 4 years.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
Sounds like ebay and your local friendly scrapyard could be your best friends over the next couple of years!

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
Well the fiasco continued as my battery needed replacing.

I found it dead at the end of winter.  Charged it indoors.  It worked for the two or three times I used the bike over summer, but I had to jump start the bike off the car to get to the workshop.  They then gave it a very quick boost charge, but we still needed to bump start the bike.  I hoped the ride home would charge it a bit. 

Nope.  Getting to the MOT I had to jump it off the car again.  Then it failed to start after the MOT.  On the way back I forked out £55 for a new AGM battery.

So hopefully I'm good for a year now.  Unless something else breaks.

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
Of course I haven't checked the charging voltage on the battery.... hopefully it's not the dreaded stator issue and just the battery dead from being flat over winter... battery is 4 years old and been through a 4 winters idle.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2018, 08:48:38 AM »
Time to get your multimeter out & test for charging, may put your mind at rest - for a while anyway!
I think 4 years is pretty good considering yours has lived outside for the last four years.
I'd hazard at guess at 2 - 5 years useful life for any motorcycle battery before it's goosed.  :127:

diverse-leafy