Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil change interval?  (Read 266 times)

Offline Tartosuc

• CBF Member
  • Ridin' ridin'. Ridin'
  • Bike: Cbf1000, bandit6
  • City / Town: Les cedres
Oil change interval?
« on: 09 August, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
Hi
I have a mk1
So far I was doing an oil and fiktr change every 5000-6000km like i would on my car,
Just found out inthe manual tha they recommend 12000km??

I’m. A bit suprised of this long interval considering it’s a motorcycle and it run’s at higher rpms etc...and quite frankly the oil is already dark at 5000km...

What is your schedule?
Life is meant to have fun

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F GT
  • City / Town: London
Re: Oil change interval?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »
You are dead right, the official oil change interval interval (for a MK2) is 12,000Km/8,000miles. prior to purchasing my Mk2 new in 2015, I queried the oil change interval and also the need for a dealer service every 4,000 miles (which the dealer I purchased the bike from said had to be an official dealer service) direct with Honda and the following is the response from Honda: 

Thank you for contacting Honda UK and for your interest in our brand.
In regards to your query, what we can say is the following: the first Routine Service of the bike would be at the 600th mile. After this the bike should be serviced every 8000 miles.
However once a Honda motorcycle is purchased, the owner is provided with an Owner's manual and a service booklet. In the Owner's manual, a "Maintenance Schedule" can be found. This is something we strongly recommend our customers to follow. Every detail regarding the service procedure and the intervals in which they should be carried out, will be explained there.
Thank you for contacting Honda. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,
Alex Kirilov
Honda Customer Service

However, I  change my oil (synthetic) and filter every  5/6,000 miles. Note: Would not recommend using Plutoline oil for a CBF.

Offline Tartosuc

• CBF Member
  • Ridin' ridin'. Ridin'
  • Bike: Cbf1000, bandit6
  • City / Town: Les cedres
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2018, 10:42:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

I will not go up to 12000 km, but will surely extend over my usuall 5000...
My wife old bandit need a 5000km oil change, i ride more than she does so i will most likely do 2 oil change at the same time around 7000km(on mine)
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2018, 10:46:13 PM by Tartosuc »
Life is meant to have fun

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »
When I was riding 12000 miles a year I changed my oil every 5000 to 6000 miles. Now do a lot less miles than I used to so I change it once a year and have never had an issue. I would far rather change it too often than not often enough. After all, a few litres of oil and a filter is far cheaper than a new engine.
Regards.
Chris

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
 :0461:

This.

My schedule?  Nearer 4k miles but I'm like that and it depends on what else is getting done at the time (don't forget, a service is more than an oil & filter change - that's the quick bit).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.