Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Little run out this morning  (Read 551 times)

Offline Josiah

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: White CBF1000
  • City / Town: Reading
Little run out this morning
« on: 08 August, 2018, 08:37:25 PM »
After not wanting to ride in the hot temperatures I finally managed to get on the bike this morning for a pleasant gentle 103 miles, this was on 1 of my shake down routes with a modification on some new enjoyable roads to me.

Here's my route if you're interested.
Tilehurst ( Reading Berkshire ) to Tidmarsh
Tidmarsh to A4 head west.
A4 through Marlborough
Marlborough to Avebury ( of stone circle fame ) on A4361 to Wroughton
Wroughton take the B4005 to Badbury, through Badbury to a tee junction with the B4192
B4192 to Hungerford then A4 to Tilehurst.

Lots of variations can be played and more demanding, faster / slower routes are available. I chose this variation because I hadn't ridden for a time.
I'd rather ride it than clean it!

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: Little run out this morning
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2018, 06:10:55 AM »
There's always your 'white horse run' to fall back on J...

:001:

Offline Josiah

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
That's 170 ish miles for me, but I like where you're coming from. Lol.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
You take me back fifty and more years! We lived in Tilehurst as well as several other nearby places and have ridden on the same roads, first on a 1935 Velocette 500 MSS, then at a later date my beloved Vincent. I think I had the best of it as it must be more crowded than when I was riding so far South - there wasn't even a speed limit - until the Suez crisis when it dropped to 50mph on the M4 that was still quite new.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
You take me back fifty and more years! We lived in Tilehurst as well as several other nearby places and have ridden on the same roads, first on a 1935 Velocette 500 MSS, then at a later date my beloved Vincent. I think I had the best of it as it must be more crowded than when I was riding so far South - there wasn't even a speed limit - until the Suez crisis when it dropped to 50mph on the M4 that was still quite new.

Do you mean the M4? Suez crisis was 1956, M4 was opened in stages during the 1960s and 70s. Anyway I was lucky to cruise at more than 50mph in the 60s on my AJS due to vibrations so speed limits were not a problem for me :008: Or were there fuel shortages because of Suez still in the 60s?

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Piper [+]
Do you mean the M4? Suez crisis was 1956, M4 was opened in stages during the 1960s and 70s. Anyway I was lucky to cruise at more than 50mph in the 60s on my AJS due to vibrations so speed limits were not a problem for me :008: Or were there fuel shortages because of Suez still in the 60s?
Oops, a senior moment. :138: Thinking it through I remember driving at 50mph along the M4 in a DAF driven by elastic bands and I didn't get that a much later! At my age time 'compresses', 1990 is just the recent past and I can't believe how some rubbish bikes and cars are now 'classics'. I went through Reading a couple of years ago to visit a motorcycling pal in Tilehurst and didn't recognise it! He likes coffee.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Josiah

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Oops, a senior moment. :138: Thinking it through I remember driving at 50mph along the M4 in a DAF driven by elastic bands and I didn't get that a much later! At my age time 'compresses', 1990 is just the recent past and I can't believe how some rubbish bikes and cars are now 'classics'. I went through Reading a couple of years ago to visit a motorcycling pal in Tilehurst and didn't recognise it! He likes coffee.
He still does. Lol

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
For what it’s worth, I remember when the M4 only went from Chiswick to Maidenhead!

Or was that Maidenhead to Chiswick?  :084:
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2018, 06:28:34 PM by Brit182 »

diverse-leafy