Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tom Tom 550  (Read 377 times)

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Tom Tom 550
« on: 07 August, 2018, 07:02:44 PM »
Any one got one that could give an objective review?

After my negative experience with a Garmin Zumo 595LM, I still havenít replaced it after sending it back.

I contacted Garmin who confirmed they could do nothing for my 6 year old Zumo 660, which was faultless otherthan operator error, until it packed in.

:028:

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Tom Tom 550
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
I used to have a 550. It was excellent for about 6 years until the screen went. I could have replaced the screen, but I decided to go with a 660 instead.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
I had the 660 for over 6 years and it worked great, I even got to like Basecamp, thatís why I went for the 595.

However, the 595 had so many glitches (not due to my operator errors this time!) and the battery lasted 2 minutes away from power, it went back.

I tried to get my 660 fixed but it was beyond repair.  :003:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
Satnav's for cars are so cheap now all you need is a waterproof holder/case and away you go. If it breaks replace it.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline mrgrumpy2

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
sat nav apps for your mobile are even cheaper and many phones will be resistant to rain showers as well.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
Ali, thatís what I used to do 7 years ago. Tom Tom 720 with a Tesco freezer bag to protect it. I may consider going back to that set up.  :001:

In relation to mobile phones, since Iím on pay as you go with a cheap ( but fully functioning) mobile Iím not linked to the internet. Iím one of the dwindling numbers of people without a contract. Data usage on Pay as you go is a non starter due to cost.

But the main issue for me is the screens are too small. I need glasses for reading, but not riding / driving.  :028:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:57:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Ali, thatís what I used to do 7 years ago. Tom Tom 720 with a Tesco freezer bag to protect it. I may consider going back to that set up.  :001:

In relation to mobile phones, since Iím on pay as you go with a cheap ( but fully functioning) mobile Iím not linked to the internet. Iím one of the dwindling numbers of people without a contract. Data usage on Pay as you go is a non starter due to cost.

But the main issue for me is the screens are too small. I need glasses for reading, but not riding / driving.  :028:
The free app Maps.Me uses free downloaded maps, so no data usage on the move therefore no cost at all, but using a phone has drawbacks as you point out. The main one for me is the screen isn't optimised for daylight use; too reflective a lot of the time. Makes for a great backup though.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
Iím in no rush to buy as weíve done our big trip of the year, so on our day out rides I can manage without a gps. Although on Tuesday I forgot the best way home, so one would have come in handy then.

Iíve dug out my old Tom Tom 720 and looked to see how to mount it on my bike, with a waterproof cover. The maps are way out of date, but a new car gps and a waterproof cover could be an option.

However, looking at Garminís latest car sat navís, theyíre touching the £200 mark. I do like the idea of WiFi updates and map loading though, but not really interested in connecting to music or phone etc.

Iíd need a new phone with a bigger screen, if I was going to go the mobile phone route, but as you point out the screens are not great in the sun and I canít read them without glasses on anyway.

Whichever way I go itís going to cost me money.  :028:

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
I spotted this on eBay last week and wondered if they are any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-3-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Bike-GPS-Navigation-SAT-NAV-Bluetooth-8GB-256MB-Maps/192586559633?hash=item2cd70db091:g:KGsAAOSw2sZbOdDU

I'm currently using a Garmin car SatNav in a waterproof case using a custom bracket that I made from aluminium. It fits between the screen and front fairing. The plans came from this forum a few years ago. It's not perfect as the screen is hard to view in bright sunshine, it goes off every time I switch the ignition off, takes an age to come back on and is impossible to use wearing gloves. That and the USB cable keeps falling out of the socket I fitted to the bike. Other than that, it's perfect in everyway  :152:
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2018, 02:43:55 PM by Trance-Elbow »
Regards.
Chris

Offline Boris

• CBF Member
  • Bike: A7
  • City / Town: Taunton
« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]

Iíve dug out my old Tom Tom 720 and looked to see how to mount it on my bike, with a waterproof cover. The maps are way out of date, but a new car gps and a waterproof cover could be an option.

However, looking at Garminís latest car sat navís, theyíre touching the £200 mark. I do like the idea of WiFi updates and map loading though, but not really interested in connecting to music or phone etc.

Before I bought a TomTom Rider, I used my phone in a cheap eBay waterproof cover clipped into a cheap suction mount from my cheap car sat nav (that I don't use anymore, because I prefer Google maps) attached to the inside of a Givi windscreen. The suction cup held surprisingly well and after a while I didn't even bother with a tether. Now I've made a little aluminium bracket to go between the top mounts of the windscreen and fairing to which I bolted a TomTom charging cradle.

diverse-leafy