Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Harley Dyna Glide starter problem  (Read 373 times)

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Harley Dyna Glide starter problem
« on: 15 March, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
Any body know anything about Harleys
I am looking at a old glide for a mate (its been in a barn for ten years)
I changed the oils new plugs etc but when you try to start her she will will turn her over till she hits compression then the starter jumps out with a very nasty rattle
If you take the plugs out stick her on a jumper pack  she will turn over till the cows come home  so I don't think its the solenoid at fault
I'm leaning towards the starter clutch being faulty and dropping out too early
any ideas ?

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Harley Dyna Glide starter problem
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
I'm no Harley expert, but your described symptoms could indicate a starter motor issue, which is apparently a common issue on many Harleys. You mention it turning over no problem on a jumper pack with the plugs out. Does it turn over the same with the plugs out using the original battery? Only ask as if it turns over no problem up until compression then it bails out, the original battery may be on its way out too, i.e. not enough power to continue turning the engine against the compression, which in turn is throwing the starter shaft back out.

Probably best looking on a Harley forum for more in-depth info. However, this Harley starter vid may assist you if you go in exploring the starter...

« Last Edit: 16 March, 2019, 10:13:35 AM by Shed »

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Re: Harley Dyna Glide starter problem
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
Hi Shed  thanks for your reply
the original battery died years ago but I have tried with jump leads off the my Vitara  so there should be enough power to swing her over .
I have looked on youtube and there are loads of film of duff starters but no clear answer.
And Harley dealers just want to get the bike in their workshop and try a few things
or say OOH we haven't worked on anything that old for ages :mfrlol:
But it may be a starter strip down is on the cards the down side is you have to remove the primary chain case to unbolt the starter from the inside.
Not a job to be done in a Welsh barn

diverse-leafy