Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Going Bigger....Tyres that is......  (Read 2303 times)

Offline davyayr

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Prestwick
Going Bigger....Tyres that is......
« on: 03 August, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
Evening all.

My 2011 Biffer needs a new front tyre.(Right. on limit) Currently has a Bridgestone (must be near 10k miles I think ? ?) fitted on front, with a 7000k Michelin Road 2 on the rear.

I'm looking at Michelin Road 4's or maybe 5's, although the tread pattern on the 5 is weird, well to my eyes anyway.

Rear is still well legal but I'm a bit OCD about tyres so would rather replace as a pair.

So a couple of questions.....

1.  4's or 5's. Price difference is pretty marginal.

2. Any benefit or can I even go a size up on width, both ends. Current Front 120/70/ZR17 and Rear 160/60/ZR17

I'm a relatively new biker (passed DA Oct 2016), don't have any interest in the knee down stuff, but like the odd blast on the twisties, use the bike all year round (except when the temp gets icy), mainly single riding but occasional pillion.

So, I've decided on Michelin so I need advice on the size increase and tyre choice.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers people

:087:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
Re: Going Bigger....Tyres that is......
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2018, 10:36:16 PM »

5's no question, they are a step change.

Can't comment on the sizing, personally I wouldn't change it from std.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2018, 12:10:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by davyayr [+]

I'm looking at Michelin Road 4's or maybe 5's, although the tread pattern on the 5 is weird, well to my eyes anyway.

If you are already thinking the 5's are 'weird', why even consider them? Just go for the 4's and put the saved £20ish in the tank.

Why do you want to change tyre size? Are you wanting to put bigger tyres on the standard rims, or change wheel size?

Generally best to stick with the manufacturer sizes. Simply put, the tyre sizes (and wheel size) suit the bike.

Apart from the obvious problems of bottoming out rubbing on mudguards, hugger, swingarm, insurance issues, handling & braking changes, etc, steering & geometry changes will come with bigger tyres. With the larger tyre, the contact patch of rubber on the tarmac is actually less in comparison to the standard size tyre - because if you go up size on the standard rims, the tyre becomes 'taller' & 'pointier' as the bigger tyre will be squeezed into the standard rim, actually leading to a smaller contact patch, less agility, and slower steering.

Additionally, going up to a wider tyre doesn't necessarily give you more contact area on the road either, because as soon as you lean the bike over the contact patch of the tyre naturally moves away from the centre of the tyre toward the shoulder of the tyre. Wider tyres = more lean to corner. The further that the contact patch of the tyre is from the centre of the tyre, the wider the arc the bike wants to run, and the slower it steers too.

What are you wanting to achieve?
« Last Edit: 04 August, 2018, 12:42:29 AM by Shed »

Offline davyayr

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Prestwick
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Tyre size question came about after a bunch of us talking about it at work. Split camp on changing sizes. Just thought I would throw it out there for your opinions. I’m staying standard. Honda know best.

Time to haggle on tyre deal at dealers.

Cheers guys.  :152:

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
 :028:

Tyre choice is very subjective and as many opinions as there are tyres!
My last set of tyres were the Pilot 4's and they were really good, although they did start squaring off and scalloping about 5k.

Currently on AVON STORM 3D X-M, which, for me, are an excellent and better tyre than the Pilots, and also they are about £50 cheaper than the Pilots for a pair too.

Very few 'bad' tyres out there these days.
« Last Edit: 04 August, 2018, 10:52:31 AM by Shed »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
Currently on AVON STORM 3D X-M, which, for me, are an excellent...

For a tyre thats now 5 years old I agree they are pretty good. If you do high mileage then a good choice as performance is'nt sacrificed. As Shed says, most mainstream tyres these days are pretty good. They will also exceed the limits of the majority of riders as well.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »
My priority is wet weather - grip the only time I get near the road holding limits of a tyre - and then only when I misjudge a corner or have an unexpected 'event'. 3s were good, 4s even better, and from the tests I've seen the 5s are another step forward. My next set will be 5s, and I certainly wouldn't fit non standard sized tyres! As you say - 'Honda knows best'. (I wonder if your insurance would find an excuse if you had a claim and you were running non standard sized tyres??) :192:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
Bridgestone T30 if you are feeling flush or BT023 on a budget  :169:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
Agree on the T30s, made my ride so much better.

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
My Versys came with T30s. I've only had it a couple of months so can't comment on longevity (or wet weather grip for that matter :008: ) Not had any problems except a puncture  :013:

Which reminds me, why can't someone invent a decent puncture-proof tyre? I had a pair on a bicycle I used to commute to work on thirty-odd years ago because of all the crap on the roads in the industrial estate where I worked kept giving me flats. They were made of nylon and had a network of hollow cells inside where the inner tube would normally be. They lasted well but were very hard work to pedal. Kept me fit though.....
No good deed goes unpunished.