Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mis-matched Tyres  (Read 1153 times)

Offline 954martin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: Surrey
Mis-matched Tyres
« on: 24 July, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »
Stopped at a Motorrad dealers today, to look at an S1000XR ( just looking ), and was surprised to see that it had different makes of tyre front to back. Front had a worn but legal Pirelli and the back a brand new looking Michelin. Obviously the rear needed changing and not the front. Now I may be wrong but having different tread patterns and compounds of tyre at either end of a 160bhp missile wouldn't fill me with confidence. Nor does said dealer willing to sell a bike like that.  :005: :005:

Offline Pan404

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-2011,
  • City / Town: ELGIN
Re: Mis-matched Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
If I was in the market for 160bhp, I'd want the best tyres available on it.

IMHO there are far better tyres available for this bike than Pirelli's

Offline cbrog

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
If I was buying the bike I would ask the dealer for 2 new tyres of the same make , if they would not be prepared to do I would walk away . I assume the S1000 is not a cheap bike ?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
The dealer probably took in it in part-ex like that. They won't change anything unless you were showing genuine interest in purchasing the bike. As long as they were in spec then it's fine BUT personally I would not feel comfortable with it long term. If the front is worn then that's far more likely to influence the grip/handling than the make. The OEM tyres on the XR were Pirelli Diablo Rosso-II's so the front is probably the original. It's a decent tyre and actually works well on the XR (as an OEM tyre).

I'm sure if you showed interest in the bike then they would change it, if not then walk away.    :038:

Offline gordonh

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009,
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
Hi I ran new Metzeler 01 for a few weeks on rear CBF1000 till had the money for a new front 01.
It handled very well with Pirelli angel st. It's still as new so wrapped up for spare.
Pirelli is good responsive tyre
Metzeler z8 couple of years of punctures getting tiresome. I put it down to bad luck/thin casings.
Hayabusa had Michelin pilot 4on the rear and Avon super on the front. Very good
Now got 2 michelin pilot 4 but felt better with the Avon front
lower fairings, heated grips, hand shields, rear hugger, luggage, rad cover, chain cover, rear handles  Z8 Metzlers scot oiley taller screen.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Many tyres (same brand/style/range) front/rears are so different anyway in many respects that I'm surprised they still claim they are indeed matched - or do they? perhaps we assume too much. 
Obviously they are designed to work together but that doesn't make a perfect match.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

diverse-leafy