Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: gear change  (Read 626 times)

Offline edger

• CBF Master
gear change
« on: 17 July, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
Why do people feel the need to drop down the box when entering a posted speed limit ?
outside my house there is a 40 mph  zone down from 60 mph, on the Sunday TT many run up to the signed limit at "speed" and then crash down he box blipping the throttle like a WSB pilot Ducati  sound lovely at 6am :mfrlol:   
my question is why ?
You can see the sign from a fair distance just rolling off would be enough to slow to the required speed other than the sound it makes there is no need to down shift
Or are modern sport bikes so peaky like two strokes you need to keep in the power band
NOT LIKE THE BIFFER THEN!!

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: gear change
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
I suspect you've answered your own question there  :164:

WSB pilot Ducati  sound lovely at 6am  :156: :164:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Samuel Platt

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: North West Lancs
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »
 When doing my IAM training on an FJ1200 I was told to change down in the 30 and 40 limits, one of the reasons was for throttle response.  It doesn't harm to be in a lower gear than normal now and again.

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
I know modern engines are pretty robust and most of us know how to get the best out of them be it making swift progress or  plodding around saving fuel, however there is a point at which  being in too high a gear at low engine rpm can do more harm than good.
Lugging around in too high a gear does an engine no good at all !. It will increase engine wear,  cause overheating, and use more fuel (unburnt). If you can imagine the pressure on a piston(s) on detonation  and the energy transmitted through the conrod to the crankshaft; then if the crank cannot spin up smoothly because of too high a gear when opening the throttle , shearing of the oil film around the big ends and little ends can occur.
So if the engine is hesitant to pull away smoothly from high gear and low revs, drop down a cog or two and get that crank spinning.      search Lugging /labouring.
« Last Edit: 19 July, 2018, 10:14:58 PM by hondacbf »

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:56:55 AM »
Many modern bikes of litre or more capacity have the torque to mosey along in pretty much any gear. You can tootle around in top if you want in town, only dropping down for start/stop stuff. But that isn't the best thing to do. Apart from any considerations involving the engine and gearbox, the reason for this is throttle response. One of the great advantages of having a bike with great acceleration is that this acceleration is a great tool for getting out of trouble. Is there a dodgy driver ahead or behind you that is being unpredictable? If you're in the right gear, a twist of the throttle and you're a couple of cars ahead and any danger is well behind you.

It's interesting to note that for advanced car drivers, the appropriate gear for 30mph is third.

I really don't advocate being in too low a gear either. Trying to make your FJ1300 sound like you are nostalgic for your Fizzy by whizzing along in first gear isn't recommended either.

As for blipping the throttle while you tap dance down through the gears, it's strictly unnecessary. You're slowing down, so any infinitesimal advantage in the power stakes by keeping the engine revs up is redundant and I would guess you are more likely to miss a gear doing that anyway. And...it can be seen as anti-social depending upon where you are. However, given the right location, where's the harm?