Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stick in Ignition  (Read 496 times)

Offline Skerby86

• Bike: CBF1000 ABS 07
  • City / Town: Walsall
Stick in Ignition
« on: 10 July, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
I came to ride my beloved bike home this evening from work and some :172: has put a twig/stick in the ignition...... what a  :232:

I have managed to get some of it out while waiting for the breakdown service but there is some still left in the ignition and I cant unlock the steering or start the bike..... nightmare  :005: :110: :003:

the breakdown service has bought me home, but i have now got to sort it out myself from here.

does anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

I dont want to have to strip the front of the bike to get to under the yolk to get the barrel off and i also dont want to have to replace the lock as it seems with HISS i will need to also replace a load of other bits(technical term alert, lol)

I will try anything to get this sorted....but I don't want to damage her

Online Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Stick in Ignition
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »
Thin nose tweezers, precision/jewellers screwdrivers, lock pick set, or junior hacksaw/coping saw blade with the pin removed from one end so it fits in the key slot, hopefully the blade teeth with grip the wood on the blade's way out.
How much wood is left in there? A lot? is it jammed in? If all else fails, and you're confident enough and have the right size gear, put a screw into the wood, and pull it out.

Any of these should be a good start to try and grip/pull/manipulate the remnants out, worth a try before taking the barrel off.  :028:
« Last Edit: 10 July, 2018, 11:12:59 PM by Shed »

Offline Skerby86

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
Great suggestions - Thanks :028:

I can't see it so can only assume its a very small fragment, that seems to be resting against the pins because the key goes in all the way but won't turn.

I have just ordered some lockpicks and very thin tweezers so will try that when they arrive but tried with some bent MIG wire and I cant fish is out so far.

I have also tried to "float" it out with WD40... that didn't work either.

Does anyone know any chemical warfare that would dissolve the wood but not trash my ignition?

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
Just thinking a good vacuum cleaner with improvised pipe or tubing over the key entry may help.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
And you might start trying to find out who dislikes you so much as to do this in the first place, cctv etc, and when  you find out, do the same to them and innocently suggest "it may have been the same person that did yours"  :164:they tend to work it out, you should have no problem after.  :038: cheaper than belting them and getting caught. :188:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
Have you tried burning it out? I don't think a small flame would hurt the lock (but mind the wires on the HISS) - but don't blame me if it goes wrong.
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Skerby86

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2018, 04:16:51 PM »
 :001: :001: :001: :047: :152: :046:

It's out, a combination of poking, prodding and vacuum bodgery and its out....... Soooooo chuffed.

Thanks for all the brilliant suggestions 

:028:

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking :028:
« Last Edit: 12 July, 2018, 05:58:11 PM by hondacbf »