Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stator replacement - a few questions  (Read 806 times)

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
Stator replacement - a few questions
« on: 06 July, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
I need a new Stator....what's the best option without spending a fortune...do I need a new rectifier as well...do I need to replace the battery as well?

I ask, because a mechanic friend says to change the first 2...and preferably all 3...if the Stator fails... :006:

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Re: Stator replacement - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
The vast majority of people on this forum who have had a stator fail on the CBF1000 MK1 have only had to replace the stator. The regulator/rectifier are more robust. Some even carry a spare stator on long trips. The 
(With some other bikes I understand it is best to replace the stator with the regulator/rectifier as well).
Re Battery just recharge and check if it works ok before use .
Make sure sure it is the stator that has failed first by visual inspection or testing. Lots of stator information on this site.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
Don't spend a fortune on a honda stator, ebay offers them at a better quality than honda.
Google on Honda stator CBF 1000 and find a lot  :028:

Offline Ardi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: sydney
« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2018, 02:08:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
Don't spend a fortune on a honda stator, ebay offers them at a better quality than honda.
Google on Honda stator CBF 1000 and find a lot  :028:
:0461:

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Whilst waiting for the new Stator to arrive I put the battery on charge overnight. In the morning, the battery charger wasn't showing that it was charging the battery. Could the battery be so completely flat that it won't accept a charge? And what about the rectifier, could that have 'fried' at the same time as the Stator did?

The new Stator was £100...a rectifier is about £100 as well....and a new battery will be about £60...so I hope it's not all 3  :087:

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
If battery was drawn empty due a failing stator, the batt could been compromised. Usually the RR's don't fail that easily.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
Is this the one failed in Austria?

If so, then your (unknown condition) battery will as likely have sat as flat as the provibial pankcake since then.  I doubt it would be much good now and if you can't get it to charge (modern 'clever' chargers for you) you have little hope.  Push the boat out and have a nice new one to rely on.

Duty bound (see sig) from 25/6 can you let me know year & mileage of the said mkI for (Andy's) the list (as I'm still keeping it going) - and anything else you think might be of interest.

NB. If the stator fried properly (as in very well done), don't forget the oil & filter change before you run it again.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
Itís an 07 ABS model, 25,300 miles with full service history so I think it was the original stator.

As an aside, the RR tested as faulty (the positive terminal had a fluctuation) so Iíve had to replace that too...and the battery was fubared so Iíve got a new one as well...plus an oil change and new filter to be on the safe side...£330 all in for the parts...gulp  :015:
« Last Edit: 16 July, 2018, 10:25:14 PM by Scott_rider »

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:15:40 PM »
Thanks.
Ouch indeed.
Unusual for the RR to go but (it is a Honda) at least you'll know all is changed now.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
...the saga continues...I bought a new battery last Friday...when I put it on the bike it was flat...so I charged it overnight and it took the charge...I put it back on the bike on Sunday but it didn't have enough umph to start it...so I jump started it...I then took the Biffer out for an hour's ride on Monday to check that the new Stator that I fitted was working...which it was... as it charged up the battery a bit more...but it was still a slow crank...I then charged up the old 'knackered' battery overnight that had been flat for 3 weeks and the following morning it was as fresh as a daisy with a strong crank...so that's now back on the bike...and I've got a refund from the shop for the 'new' knackered battery... :012:

Let's hope the old one doesn't give up on me... :015:

Interesting (or not) that my battery charger wouldn't charge it the first time, so I borrowed a mate's charger and that worked (as above).
« Last Edit: 18 July, 2018, 05:11:02 PM by Scott_rider »