Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Metzler z8's better than pr4  (Read 1461 times)

Offline wolverine495

• CBF Member
  • hi from nottington
  • Bike: CBF1000,GSXS1000
  • City / Town: Weymouth
Metzler z8's better than pr4
« on: 05 July, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »
Dear All
I have covered over 50,000 miles on two mk1 cbfs a red one and a silver one, I used to fit pr4's but due to strange wearing issues with pr4's I have switched to Metzler z8's and I must say they are excellent tyres , the last rear I got 7000 miles out of it riding it hard through the country RDS of West Dorset (the coast rd from Weymouth to West bay is my morning commute on my way to Hinkley point c new nuclear power plant project).
So I can thoroughly recommend these tyres and they are roughly £188 a set from tyreleader. Try them you won't be disappointed. :001:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Metzler z8's better than pr4
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
Not tried the Metzelerís, but we had the same wear issues with PR4ís on my MK2 and my wifeís CBF600SA.

I went back to Avon Storms and my wife is on Bridgestone 023 Ďs. Both of us are happier than when we had PR4ís fitted.  :028:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Sorry, sold the BronzeWing went back to BMW
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
I got strange wear on my front and these are BT023's. The front has worn out faster than the rear and it has cupping.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Samuel Platt

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: North West Lancs
« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
I replaced my front tyre with a Z8, grip is really good but Ive not had chance to try it in the wet yet, thats the trouble with living in the hot and sunny North West!!,
 PS my daily commute is to Heysham 1 nuclear power station. Hows the construction site getting on? My stepson is a instructor for the reactor when it gets online down there.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
I got strange wear on my front and these are BT023's. The front has worn out faster than the rear and it has cupping.

After 5500 miles the  023 front tyre on my wifeís bike is starting to get a ridge to the left of centre. Nothing serious, but thatís mainly touring with a tank bag and luggage. The PR4 lasted less than 4500 miles before it was desperate for changing.

Canít comment on longevity of the rear as the first one needed changing after 2500 miles due to a deep cut across the tyre.

:028:

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
I had Z8's on my FJRs and an SV650 - I thought they were crap in the wet but OK in the dry. This was many years ago so they may have improved since then (they may have been Z6's but they were certainly Metzlers)

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Sorry, sold the BronzeWing went back to BMW
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
After 5500 miles the  023 front tyre on my wifeís bike is starting to get a ridge to the left of centre. Nothing serious, but thatís mainly touring with a tank bag and luggage. The PR4 lasted less than 4500 miles before it was desperate for changing.

Canít comment on longevity of the rear as the first one needed changing after 2500 miles due to a deep cut across the tyre.

:028:

Ah yes I had ridges on the front too. I think those Spanish roads are quite abrasive? I'll do my best to wear out the next rear a bit faster  :007:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain