Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: gear indicator  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: gear indicator
« Reply #20 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Looks wired fine to me grumpy, faulty unit I reckon.
See what happens next...

Offline dermott91

• Bike: cbf1000 abs
  • City / Town: comber
« Reply #21 on: 30 July, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by dermott91 [+]
just looking advice, looking to put a gear indicator on my bike, there are various on the market ranging in price. I have been advised by some  friends that the GIpro is the one to go for, others say the cheaper versions are just as good. Can anyone offer any advice on either GIpro or the cheaper versions.

thanks for any information offered

andrew mckee
just to let people know that I purchased an indicator from china. it came unwired , but with the pictures posted above, I was able to wire it. If I can do it , anyone can. Works perfectly.
andrew mckee

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #22 on: 30 July, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by dermott91 [+]
just to let people know that I purchased an indicator from china. it came unwired , but with the pictures posted above, I was able to wire it. If I can do it , anyone can. Works perfectly.

I'm guessing it's just a case of looking at the wire colours coming into the back of the bikes connector and pushing the pins into the corresponding holes in the new connector?
Regards.
Chris

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #23 on: 30 July, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
As earlier post. I got an IDEA one and it has been ok for over 2 years. Touch wood.....

Offline wpbrown

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A
  • City / Town: Portadown
« Reply #24 on: 02 August, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
I've just fitted the GI gear indicator. You look at it more than you think you would.
No more checking and looking for 7th gear. When I come to do a turn at a junction and I've counted gears up and down wrong, no more trying to move off in 4th.
I find it more relaxing and reassuring just to glance down and check.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #25 on: 02 August, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »
I agree, not just a top gear confirmation, but nice to check you are in 2nd before the roundabout! Didn't realise how much I use it until the tank bag obscured the view. (Had to change the mounting). I told my brother about the CBF being the only bike I had ever ridden that I felt I needed this gadget, which of course he derided, saying I should know what gear I am in. I agreed in principle, but it is different on the CBF.

Offline Berber

• CBF Member
« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]
Dermott,

As they say, here's one we fitted earlier to a MK1. A cheap one, as in the ebay link I posted.
(Which has been working fine for knocking on 3 years now. Worth every penny).
J
Check the photos out. The gear indicator plug (white) only fits onto the ecu socket (red) one way, so you can't go wrong there.

Wiring, it was as simple as red=live, black=ground, yellow=ecu sensor.

The connectors feed through the plug holes and click into place, then just slide the rubber bungs up behind them.
Again, the connectors only fit one way into the plug, so if you're forcing them or having great difficulty then something is not right.

If you do balls that up and miswire, don't panic, a very small screwdriver, or similar implement, can be used to push the plug securing tabs in while you remove the wire/s and refit.

Does anyone know whether the wiring colours changed with the mk2?

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
Depends on what colours you have for a MkI.

I've a note that says the MkII should be:-

Bl/W ECU A04   +12v eng run power
O/W  ECU A30   ECU K-Line
Br   ECU B19   ECU SCS
G    ECU B04   0v
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2018, 02:32:17 PM by jm2 »
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Berber

• CBF Member
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
I haven’t looked at the ecu plug yet. The unit I bought has red, black, white with white being the ecu connection I guess

Offline MrB

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Just returned from a 1500 mile tour of Germany, finishing in Ypres on Mk2 and after getting home and giving the bike a well deserved clean I decided to have a go at fitting the gear indictor I had bought as a birthday present.  Followed the advice given on here, which as usual was spot on it is all fitted and setup.  It was a fit a faff to get to the ECU but managed eventually.  Didn't setup properly first time, so had to reset and try again, which worked.  Just noticed that occasionally when changing from 3rd to 2nd, it momentarily shows a no 5 and then goes to no2, not sure if this is a fault or not.  I ended buying one from China off Ebay for just under £30.00.  Seems to do the job though.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.