Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Afternoon all I'm Pedrovski  (Read 342 times)

Offline Pedrovski

• City / Town: Chelmsford
Afternoon all I'm Pedrovski
« on: 06 June, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »
Hello Chaps,

^^^^^^^see, I read the newbie readme and put me username in the title...  :164:

My real name is Pete and in a couple of months (when the cheque clears) I'll be buying a used mk1 Biffer. It's a return to biking for me, my last bike being a YZF750R which I sold after 5 years of ownership in 2003. It's been a while and I'm not as young and nimble as I used to be, so I discounted a sports bike to make a return on.

I had a pre-restriction Fizzie at 16, then a CB100N that I bought from new at 18 and passed my test on at Sidcup test centre. It was the days of the Star Rider scheme and the instructors there really helped out. I still have the little CB in the garage. I've had a few bikes over the years, then kids and a mortgage kinda knocked things on the head for a while. I made a return in the 1990's with a Yamaha 600 Diversion that I had for three years before trading it in for the YZF750.

Once again money got tight and I couldn't justify a car AND a bike so the bike had to go  :157:

...and now I'm here at 54, with the kids off hand, and enough cash to look at having a car and a bike  :046: :046:

Like I said, I'm not built for sports bikes anymore, so I've been looking at sports touring. My good lady has toured with me in the past, we went down to Devon from South East London on the CB100N (yes we did) and took a Honda VT500E to Scotland for a fortnight, and she's happy to tour with me again.I took the YZF down to Le Mans for the 24hr bike race with a couple of mates but herself declined to sit on the high perch of the YAM.

After looking around and test riding a few, I've decided on a Biffer as it's not too heavy like a Pan or FJR1300 or that type of full on tourer, and I can still push on a bit in the corners without grounding everything out. I've seen that the stators on the mk1 are troublesome but I prefer the look of the mk1 over the mk2. Maybe it's an age thing but I like the twin pipes. I'd prefer twin rear shocks too over the monoshock but hey ho.

I've found the CBF1000 FB page and joined that and now likewise here on the forum. Now all I need is to find the right bike. I have about £3k for the bike and I want to spend an extra £500 to £600 on some new riding kit.

So the hunt begins.

:028: :028:

All the best

Pete   
Pedrovski

Offline Beans

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Re: Afternoon all I'm Pedrovski
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
Hi Pete. I just rolled up to the forum as well. Good introduction. Good luck with finding the bike. I'm picking a 2007 model up on Saturday.  :001:

Offline Pedrovski

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
Cheers Bean. There seems to be plenty low mileage examples around. Good luck with yours mate. Wish I was picking mine up tomorrow lol!
Pedrovski

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
 :405:

Nice intro Pete  :028:

Yep the Biffer is much more comfy and easy on us with more mature bodies so to speak.  I've also got a CBR600 but after even 10 miles on that I'm feeling cramped & achey...

There are pros & cons for any bike I guess but I agree with you that the Mk1 looks a bit nicer than the Mk2 - sure you have to be aware of the stator issue but as the other guys will no doubt agree, not exactly difficult to replace anyway.

Enjoy  :001:
Tim

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Pro
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
 :401:
I prefer the Mk2 looks to the Mk1. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....... :031:

Offline KiwiBob

• Bike: CBF1000 MK1
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
Hi Pete, your story could be mine.  :031:  Only difference being the bikes and my partners have never been keen on being pillions. I got back on a bike 5 years ago when I bought a 1986 XBR500. I just did a trade with a guy and now have a Mk1 Biffer. Certainly more comfortable than the little XBR500.
Bob

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tommo2 [+]
:401:
I prefer the Mk2 looks to the Mk1. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder....... :031:

True -life always looks rosier thru the bottom of a glass  :001: After the riding's done of course  :028:

Offline Pedrovski

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm fairly ok with the spanners so I reckon I could replace a stator when it goes. If the stator is getting too hot and the insulation is melting/burning would it suggest too high a current being passed through it? I'm guessing the combination of stator plus rotor on a bike pretty much equals the alternator on a car?

Would a more reliable set-up from a different bike work on the Mk1? If so, one from a scrapped bike is gonna be cheaper than a new replacement from Honda I would've thought.

Just waiting for me compo check to arrive now....very frustrating all this waiting around  :157:

All the best to you

Pete
Pedrovski

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:43:44 PM »
Hi Pete,

*Originally Posted by Pedrovski [+]
Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm fairly ok with the spanners so I reckon I could replace a stator when it goes. If the stator is getting too hot and the insulation is melting/burning would it suggest too high a current being passed through it? I'm guessing the combination of stator plus rotor on a bike pretty much equals the alternator on a car?

Exactly correct! Except on a car the alternator is AIR cooled and in all the cars I've owned over the last 40 years (some over 100,000 miles) never known one to burn-out or have any other issues for that matter...  Obviously on a motorbike everything is crammed into a much smaller space and the stators are OIL cooled - so instead of a nice blast of coolish air passing over the coils they're immersed in engine oil which is actually quite HOT itself!!!

Would a more reliable set-up from a different bike work on the Mk1? If so, one from a scrapped bike is gonna be cheaper than a new replacement from Honda I would've thought.

No cos the stator & rotor have to fit inside the engine casing and I believe the issue (which also affected Fireblades of the same era I understand) that caused the Mk1 stator coils to burn out prematurely was down to inadequate oil flow through that housing.  From reading the multitude of other posts on this topic over the years on this forum we are reliably informed that the oil flow channels & ducting were redesigned & improved on the design for the Mk2 CBF, hence no reported issues on that model as far as I know... 

Just waiting for me compo check to arrive now....very frustrating all this waiting around  :157:

All the best to you

Pete

All the best,
Tim

Offline Stvlas

• BIFFER Lover for life 😁👍
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Trim
« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
Hi There,
We sound like a bunch of born again riders. I have just logged on here, and my story quite similar 😁. In my mid 50's and got back into biking 3 years ago. BMW F650 1996(Crap bike), then CBF600S (Great bike). My experince with the 600 brought me to purchase a 2011 MK2 CBF1000F 2 weeks ago and this bike is just a dream. Smooth and powerful with easier handling than the 600 despite it being heavier. I trust you will all have similar views in due course. Happy and safe riding guys. Pic of my bike attatched 😊

Stvlas

diverse-leafy