Author Topic: Honda CBF1000 after market panniers  (Read 2132 times)

Offline RugbyWreck

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 ABS
  • City / Town: Worcester
Honda CBF1000 after market panniers
on: 06 June, 2018, 12:30:38 PM
Hi. I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been asked before or I have posted it in the wrong place.

I have a 2009 Honda CBF1000 ABS fitted with a Honda top box and rack and I'd like to fit some panniers too, however, I don't want to go to the huge expense of fitting genuine Honda pannier racks and panniers so having looked around I've found some Givi alternatives I quite like.

The problem I have is that whilst Givi say that using the PLX174 rack and PLX174Kit will allow me to fit their panniers without their top box rack in place what they're not sure of is if the kit will allow me to fit the racks if the Honda top box rack is in place? I'd like to keep the Honda top box if possible so can someone please confirm that the panniers racks rack can be fitted even with the Honda top box rack in situ.

Failing that does anyone have this sort of set-up themselves (i.e. non-Honda panniers with a Honda top box and rack) and if so what panniers and fitting kit have you used so I can have a look at those as an alternative?

I can supply a picture of the bike as is if that makes answering the questions any easier?

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Re: Honda CBF1000 after market panniers
Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:05:47 AM
You can usually see from the givi fitting instructions (available on their website against the individual fittings) whether or not you're going to run into problems trying a 'mix and match' solution.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:42:23 PM
See attached pic.
As described....
"...Honda Top Box, Givi side Panniers with easily removable PLX mountings"...
here... https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20918.msg246596.html
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline RugbyWreck

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 ABS
  • City / Town: Worcester
Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
Just so everyone knows, whilst Givi and Honda bot say that this is not possible I actually found that with a suitable spacer and careful use of a Stanley knife on the rubber mount for the Honda top box rack this is actually quite easily done and I've just come back from touring the East coast of England for 10 days using this setup without a problem.

I'm not sure if richardcbf did the same (I can't see from the detail in his picture?) but cutting a channel into the rubber mounts took me about 10 minutes, doesn't ruin them, and saved me about 400 by not  having to buy genuine Honda panniers and racks!!  :001:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:58:25 AM
*Originally Posted by RugbyWreck [+]
Just so everyone knows, whilst Givi and Honda bot say that this is not possible I actually found that with a suitable spacer and careful use of a Stanley knife on the rubber mount for the Honda top box rack this is actually quite easily done and I've just come back from touring the East coast of England for 10 days using this setup without a problem.

I'm not sure if richardcbf did the same (I can't see from the detail in his picture?) but cutting a channel into the rubber mounts took me about 10 minutes, doesn't ruin them, and saved me about 400 by not  having to buy genuine Honda panniers and racks!!  :001:
No, he didn't - it's not (and wasn't) his bike or photo!  :002:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

diverse-leafy