Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bridgestone or pilots  (Read 2692 times)

Offline The hound

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000
  • City / Town: manchester
Bridgestone or pilots
« on: 06 June, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »
What in your opinion is the best tyre  bridgestones or  pilots  :084:  I've  always had bridgestones  which give good road handling and are great in the wet , but don't seem to have much mileage in them . I check tyre pressures every week don't ride that hard and don't brake hard . They also seem to square off after 2000, miles or sooner ?

The hound

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Re: Bridgestone or pilots
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by The hound [+]
What in your opinion is the best tyre  bridgestones or  pilots  :084:  I've  always had bridgestones  which give good road handling and are great in the wet , but don't seem to have much mileage in them . I check tyre pressures every week don't ride that hard and don't brake hard . They also seem to square off after 2000, miles or sooner ?

The hound

The best tyres for doing what. I myself believe all this stuff about tyres being good in the wet is a expensive marketing red herring , All tyres are good in the wet when the bike is being ridden to suite the conditions at the time making riding on a wet road as confident as riding on a dry one, I myself would never buy tyres just because they are supposedly good in the wet they are only as good as the rider. When I was doing long distance Euro trips my favourite tyres were the Maxxiss  Supermax ST I found them to be superb touring tyres ,If I had listened to the so called biking experts I would not have bought them.
   If tyres square off its down to the way the bike is used if used  on main roads and motor ways most of the time  will cause any tyres to square off,  Rather than listen to smart adverts or even listening to other bikers with different biking styles I would do a bit off research and buy tyres to suite the type of riding the tyres are going to be used for, If my bike was used for the ride outs I would go for a more sporty type of tyre theres nothing better than having a bit off fun on a twisty road.
  Theres some really good tyres available these days, and to buy tyres because they are said to be good in the wet is absolute nonsense.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
... tyres square off its down to the way the bike is used if used  on main roads and motor ways most of the time  will cause any tyres to square off ...

If you take it easy on fast highways they don't square off nearly as much. Its also easier and less tiring.

Bridgestone and Michelin both good  :152:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Any of the top brand tyres will comfortably exceed what any road rider will want to do and there are lots of options available (but I know of no one who has ridden them all) and they are always evolving as manufacturers develop new compounds and tread patterns.  If you went back a few years ago and had to ride OEM Yokahamas then you would realize how bad tyres can be. But fit any (and I mean ANY) latest generation ST tyre from any of the top 5 tyre manufacturers (pirelli, bridgestone, Dunlop, michelin and metzler (which are essentially pirellis) and you will find your bikes performance will improve markedly when the new tyres are first fitted.  In addition the levels of grip and stability will comfortably exceed anything that a UK road rider can achieve - unless they are travelling at NW200 or UGP speeds (and in that case they need locking up).  My suggestion is write the names of all 5 brands on a slip of paper put them in a hat and pick one - you will love it - failing that just go for what you get the best deal on.  Next time you change, try another brand and the result will be the same - there are no bad tyres out there now - just different levels of brilliance.     
Lots of peeps will talk complete b------ks about how good one tyre is over another but frankly unless they have tried them all in all weathers and temps then their advice should be viewed with suspicion.  I currently still run PR4s (which were about the best at the time of fitting) and they provide grip levels that exceed my riding abilities - there are undoubtedly better tyres out there now and when I change I will most likely try another brand or possibly the Road 5s, but one thing is sure - I will not be exploring their outer limits of grip and stability on the road.  Most ST tyres will give around 5-8k depending on how much you twist the throttle - with all if they are squaring off its because you are riding in straight lines or doing lots of standing quarters.

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: 06 June, 2018, 09:50:20 AM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
I've had good results with Avon Storm 3D XM.  Latest set just done 5,000 miles and worn down to 5mm depth, from 8mm when new.  Most of that is fully loaded, panniers & top box, plus the wife of course.  They have performed well in all weathers, all around Spain, Portugal, Wales Ireland & Scotland.
Main benefit for me has been the cost.  They are significantly cheaper than the more "exotic" brands.
Everyone has there own opinion of course and this is mine, after trying one or two others i.e. Bridgestone, Michelin, etc.
As stated above, don't be swayed, too much, by the manufacturers, or magazines, hype.

Good luck anyway

Cheers, Paul

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
Agree with what golfsharpy12 says, any of the top brand tyres will out perform the average rider these days. They are all good, maybe some differences in wear rate but thats about it.

Have to say the new Michelin Road 5s are pretty good but not used them personally on a CBF (was on a S1000XR). Michelin claim that a set of new Road 5s with 3,000 miles of wear on them will perform better in the wet than a brand-new set of the Road 4 !

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
That's an easy one. Brand new tyres have to be scrubbed in before they generate much grip at all. That's why you get the "take it easy for the first 100 miles" warning when you get a new set fitted.  :002:
And who says part-worn tyres are any less grippy than scrubbed-in new ones anyway??
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
All modern tyres are better than previous generations of tyres, so any will 'do'. My priority is wet weather grip for teh toimes I might get caught out as in the dry I never get near the limit of grip, but in the wet there is a smaller margin. I'm stickingwith PR4's or Road5s when I replace my current PR4s. My bike came with new tyres and I found them twitchy in the wet, and lacked confidence in them - so dumped them and got PR4s that I trust. (And I'm a Scot!) Oh and there are some independent reviews of comparative tyre characteristics that are worth a read.

In the end ANY modern tyre you find you trust is the tyre for you!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline The hound

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf 1000
  • City / Town: manchester
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
Thanks guys very informative , i may as well stick with the devil i know if all modern tyres  are as good as each other ?. Like many on here i don't push my tyres anywhere near their upper limits ,but i do like a tyre i feel safe on and  more importantly trust in the wet . I have been told by my local garage  that the reason the tyres square off is because the outer sides are made of a softer more grippy rubber than  the middle part of the tyre , that's why after a couple of thousand miles you can feel it when dropping in corners and bends  . Seeing as i ride more country roads than Motorways and A roads if sounds a festable answer to me , I mean who rides bike in a straight  line all the time ! com on we have bikes because we like the twist and turns .

The hound

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »
I have a 2 yr old Biffer which has done just under 8000 miles. I've  ordered a pair of Bridgestone BT31's to be fitted next week to to replace the original BT57's. I know the Michelin's are meant to be great but they would have been 50 quid dearer. They can't be that much better ! I've  never had problems with Bridgestones in the past 5 years, they suit the bike