Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ride in, reverse out?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Beans

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A7 2007
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Ride in, reverse out?
« on: 05 June, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
Hi. Anticipating getting my first big bike, a cbf1000. Currently I have a 125. My house has a short narrow driveway in front that's on an incline.  This drive continues along the side of the house. Then the front of the garage is just behind the rear of the house. At the moment I tend to ride across the pavement, up the drive, alongside the house and into the garage if this is all coordinated with someone opening the garage door.
When I come out I push the bike backwards to the side of the house, then push it back and to to do a confined 10 point turn leaving it pointing out ready to ride down the drive and off. When I get the biffer I'm not sure this is going to be feasible especially the getting out routine.
Any suggestions wise ones? Remember that the drive goes uphill to the house

Thanks

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
Re: Ride in, reverse out?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »
What about one of the those motorcycle turntables ? I've seen them on ebay, can't remember how much they they were off my head.

All depends though on whether you've got the space width ways to turn it 180 degrees ?

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2018, 11:37:36 PM »
The fact that the drive goes uphill to the house pretty much answers your question, I think.

My previous house had a similar drive. The slope wasn't terribly steep, but backing it up was something less than comfortable while astride the bike, and I felt it was too easy for the bike to tip over if I got out of the saddle and pushed it up the hill.

Ya, it might be a pain doing that 10-point turn, but I think that's preferable to either risk dropping the bike or struggling mightily up a hill.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »
I think you answered your question in the thread title: Ride in, reverse out.
This is what I do - my drive is on the flat but I have to get past the better half's TT. Needless to say I am careful when paddling it out. The low seat height makes it fairly easy to move providing you are astride it and ready on the front brake.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
My driveway also slopes up to the garage, so I can just drive straight up and into the garage. Going out, I simply sit astride the bike (never just stand at the side holding the bars), and using the brake to control it, carefully allow gravity to roll it backwards onto the road; no problems. I really wouldn't worry about it; it's really not difficult when you sit on it, as the biffer's weight does seem reasonably low down. Try it.......

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Yup - ride up hill, then carefully reverse, preferably sitting on your bike, downhill. 10 point turns sound a bit 'iffy' as I guess it would be exhausing if sitting on the bike, and dodgy if doing it off the bike.

The same goes when parking your bike on an incline. Wherever possible ride up the gradient and then let it roll down the gradient to get out of - say - a parking bay. There is an added advantage that your side stand isn't in danger of folding in if parking on a steepish incline!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
Reading some of these reply's makes me thankful my drive and garage are on the flat,shoving the biffer about is easy, compared to the bird, as the weight is so much lower down on the biffer, although both bikes are similar weights.
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »
If you do a ten point turn with your 125, I dread to think how many it would take with a larger bike.  :002:

Offline Beans

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A7 2007
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Ride it in forward, paddle it out backwards it will be.

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »
Hi. I have the same problem, the drive to my garage is about 12ft long with a gradient of about 30 degrees. Purchased one of these turntables
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Stand-Turntable-50cm-20-inch-Bike-Motorbike-Motorcycle-by-EasyTurn/292472058147?hash=item4418b17123:g:pA8AAOSwVupTpBRE
about 5 years ago and it is one of the best things I have bought. All I do now is ride the bike into the garage, put the side stand down, position the turntable underneath it, put the bike on the centre stand, push the back of the bike down slightly and turn it around so it faces the garage doors. The turntable is so well made and strong that I think it will last my lifetime. I got the large version but think the smaller version would have been better for the CBF plus cheaper.