Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3 Piston Rear Caliper  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Biffern

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Re: 3 Piston Rear Caliper
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
Thanks for the helpful reply.
CBF1000 FA
CBF1000 AT
CBR1000RR5
CBR900RRW

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by StealthAu [+]
I'm surprised there is so much confusion regarding the brakes given this is the cbf1000 forum.

What confusion?!  :mfrlol:

*Originally Posted by StealthAu [+]
there is a pressure valve in the rear system, when the pedal is applied to a point, it would also operate one front left piston.

The proportional control valve actually activates the centre piston in the front right caliper, not the left.

For reference MK1:

CBF1000 - Conventional brake system, two twin pistons at the front, one single piston at the rear.

CBF1000A - Combined ABS system, two triple pistons at the the front, one triple piston at the rear.
« Last Edit: 18 August, 2018, 11:58:28 AM by Shed »

Offline StealthAu

• Bike: 97 Custom Magna
  • City / Town: Queensland
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]
What confusion?!  :mfrlol:

The proportional control valve actually activates the centre piston in the front right caliper, not the left.

For reference MK1:

CBF1000 - Conventional brake system, two twin pistons at the front, one single piston at the rear.

CBF1000A - Combined ABS system, two triple pistons at the the front, one triple piston at the rear.

Yep, it's the front right. Typo/brainfart

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Whirlwind [+]
If he has used a REAR then my reply is right. One banjo bolt, 2 bleed nipples …...
Then I apologise for casting doubt and being off the ball on this.
A genuine  :431:  from me.

I was actually thinking this wasn't as straight forward as a rear cbf (a) capiler fitted.
I know some very good modifiers but worry somewhat when I hear people messing about with brakes that may not really know what they are swapping.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
As far as I know, the front brake has NEVER operated a rear piston. It's only ever been rear-front.

Ala
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
As far as I know, the front brake has NEVER operated a rear piston. It's only ever been rear-front.

Ala
Yeh, not on a CBF1000, but on other Honda motorcycles....

In the dual CBS, the hydraulic pressure generated on operation of the right lever will act on the pistons on both ends of "three-pot" calipers on the left and right of the front. The braking force generated then will move the calipers on the left to generate new hydraulic pressure on the secondary master cylinder.

The hydraulic pressure will act on the pistons on both ends of three-pot calipers through the proportional control valve, PCV, having the function of pressure reduction, to general braking force on the rear wheel. Furthermore, the hydraulic pressure generated by operation of the pedal will act on the piston in the middle of three-pot calipers in the fore and aft. Similarly to the lever brake, the braking force generated on the front calipers on the left will generate hydraulic pressure in the secondary master cylinder, which will act on the pistons on both ends of the rear calipers. As the result, braking force higher than the time of lever operation will be generated on the rear wheel since all three pistons of the calipers are actuated.

Because of these mechanisms, the dual CBS turns out to be CBS also when the lever is operated unlike the case of Combi Brake. In addition to it, distribution characteristics different from the time of operating pedal will be obtained.

https://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/

:028:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline StealthAu

• Bike: 97 Custom Magna
  • City / Town: Queensland
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Then I apologise for casting doubt and being off the ball on this.
A genuine  :431:  from me.

I was actually thinking this wasn't as straight forward as a rear cbf (a) capiler fitted.
I know some very good modifiers but worry somewhat when I hear people messing about with brakes that may not really know what they are swapping.

No one knows everything about any subject and everyone makes mistakes. Don't sweat it.
No need to worry about me, I know what I'm doing. If I knew how to upload pictures to this site I'd show you the bike in question.
I've converted the rear brake from drum to disc, front brake from single to dual disc. I've built a custom fuel tank by welding the bottom half of a Magna tank to the top half of a Valkyrie tank. All done in a profession and safe manner.

Also, just so you know, mounting front calipers to rear brakes is also very doable. I've done this to other bikes and considered it for my Magna. For my Magna it would have been overkill, it was my backup plan if I couldn't find a suitable rear setup to work with my cbr rear wheel. Thankfully, I came across the cbf model and the specs match what I was trying to do.
When my bike had a cbr single piston rear brake, it was rather underwhelming. The 3 piston cbf rear performs perfectly for my application.
« Last Edit: 19 August, 2018, 12:18:37 AM by StealthAu »

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2018, 01:22:29 PM »
Richard,

it is not hydraulic pressure that operates the rear piston from the front, but a lever at the side of the brakes that operates when the front brake comes on and moves a little bit. I had a VFR with this system and, as far as I know, it is how all the dual ABS systems work from Honda.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Yeh, not on a CBF1000, but on other Honda motorcycles....

In the dual CBS, the hydraulic pressure generated on operation of the right lever will act on the pistons on both ends of "three-pot" calipers on the left and right of the front. The braking force generated then will move the calipers on the left to generate new hydraulic pressure on the secondary master cylinder.

The hydraulic pressure will act on the pistons on both ends of three-pot calipers through the proportional control valve, PCV, having the function of pressure reduction, to general braking force on the rear wheel. Furthermore, the hydraulic pressure generated by operation of the pedal will act on the piston in the middle of three-pot calipers in the fore and aft. Similarly to the lever brake, the braking force generated on the front calipers on the left will generate hydraulic pressure in the secondary master cylinder, which will act on the pistons on both ends of the rear calipers. As the result, braking force higher than the time of lever operation will be generated on the rear wheel since all three pistons of the calipers are actuated.

Because of these mechanisms, the dual CBS turns out to be CBS also when the lever is operated unlike the case of Combi Brake. In addition to it, distribution characteristics different from the time of operating pedal will be obtained.

https://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/

:028:

Richard,

it is not hydraulic pressure that operates the rear piston from the front, but a lever at the side of the brakes that operates when the front brake comes on and moves a little bit. I had a VFR with this system and, as far as I know, it is how all the dual ABS systems work from Honda.

Alan
Alan, if you mean me, note that what I posted is quoted from Honda's own web site for which I gave the link.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
but a lever at the side of the brakes that operates when the front brake comes on and moves a little bit. I had a VFR with this system and, as far as I know, it is how all the dual ABS systems work from Honda.
Alan

:435:

Is this referring to the secondary master cylinder, with link rod to the left front caliper?
As found on VFR's, and Honda Blackbird's etc? Is that what you're on about?

:084: