Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front end collision damage  (Read 281 times)

Offline Boris

• CBF Member
  • Bike: A7
  • City / Town: Taunton
Front end collision damage
« on: 28 May, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
Hi guys,

We had an accident on Saturday. Basically, out of a van in front fell off a box of screws and nails and the car (Landrover) on front of me managed to stop on a sixpence and I stopped on its tow bar/tailgate. Luckily the speed wasn't very high and nobody was hurt (my pillion has a bruised shin and I've got a slightly sore wrist). The bike isn't badly damaged but it's bad enough so that we had to come back in the back of my mate's van.
From what I can tell without striping it all down, the damage is as follows:
-bent fork tubes
-damaged radiator
-bent brake disc
-broken fairings.

Now, to the main part of the question.

I haven't involved my insurance company just yet. I'm trying to find and price up replacement parts but, from what I can see, it's going to cost me more than the insurance excess (£400+£100 voluntary). That's why I'm considering getting it done via the insurance. But because I've never had any dealings with them (other than paying for best part of 20 years for cars and 6 years for bikes) I'm not sure what options are there and what do I need to watch out for.

Am I right in thinking that, if I make a claim, the insurance company will send someone over to assess the damage and quote a repair. The insurance company will cover the cost and charge me the excess. If the cost of the repair is greater than the value of the bike, it will be written off and I will get cash value minus the excess. Now here's a couple of questions:
-how long can it all take?
-how do they value the bike?
-what options should I have through out the process?
-what do I need to watch out for?
-if I think they're low balling me, can I appeal the valuation?

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend good value for money replacement parts or even has some laying around in their garages, I'd very much appreciate.

Regards
B

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Front end collision damage
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
Dealing with Insance Company’s is a subjective matter.

Some are very quick and efficient, others not so.

Really speaking you should notify your insurance company about the incident, whether you intend to make a claim or not........lots don’t, but that’s up to them. Should another party report the incident then your company will want to know why you haven’t (check the small print in your policy).

By the damage you decribe, they’d probably write it off as an authorised repairer would quote them far more than you repairing it yourself.

You may be able to come to an agreement and buy it back from the insurance company.

You won’t know anything for sure until you speak to them.......but don’t get caught out not complying with your policy. :028:

Offline Boris

• CBF Member
  • Bike: A7
  • City / Town: Taunton
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
Thanks. Technically I did tell them about it when trying to arrange recovery. They told me to ring again on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday... The other parties of the accident didn't want to make any claims as there was hardly any damage to the Landover and the van driver was very apologetic.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Boris [+]
Thanks. Technically I did tell them about it when trying to arrange recovery. They told me to ring again on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday... The other parties of the accident didn't want to make any claims as there was hardly any damage to the Landover and the van driver was very apologetic.
I hope you have reg marks of both vehicles and hopefully the Landrover driver can corroborate his apology as your insurance firm will presume it is your fault unless you can prove otherwise, which sounds possible as although shunting the vehicle in front is usually the following vehicle's fault,
in your d]case it sounds as if it wasn't something you could have anticipated!

Oh and it takes longer than you think if my experience with my wife's car is anything to go by!

Edit; Check your insurance to see if it will pay for a hired vehicle while yours is off the road. Sometimes if you have a second vehicle they won't, but it is worth trying.
« Last Edit: 28 May, 2018, 02:32:18 PM by Rev Ken »
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
The van driver was carrying an unsecured load which fell onto the highway , and as a consequence an accident occurred. Whether it was a box of marshmallows or a D9 buldozer that fell and caused collisions, it's the driver who is responsible for the loads security and is therefore at fault.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »
 :430: :431:
Nothing to add of value but just wanted to say SORRY to hear about your misfortune. Feel for you cos that sort of thing could happen to any one of us whether on a bike, in a car, on a bicycle, whatever mate you were just plain UNLUCKY   :161:

Sincerely hope it all works out OK for you in the end.