Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ignition key broken in ignition barrel  (Read 1068 times)

Offline safe-rider

• CBF Member
Ignition key broken in ignition barrel
« on: 17 May, 2018, 08:05:25 AM »
So I managed to snap the ignition key in the ignition barrel of my 2007 CBF1000A. I tried many ways of removing the broken key including a locksmith to no avail. I decided in the end to drill out the old barrel and replace it. I was aware of the HISS issues.

I contacted Honda dealers and they wanted £400 for the key set. I looked for second hand key sets and they were around the £200 mark. I then found a company in Italy selling the full Honda key set for £108 delivered. 

I was a bit sceptical but I ordered it and it arrived a few days later. It fitted perfectly and I changed the fuel tank lock and rear seat lock as well.

Obviously I needed the key chipping so that the ecu recognised it. Honda wanted £42 to code it so I decided to remove the chip from my broken key fob and put it in the new key fob. This was a two minute job and it worked perfectly.

I thought I'd share my experience in case it happens to another owner.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Ignition key broken in ignition barrel
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
 :152:
Thanks for sharing. Have you found it on eeeeebay?

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
Ridiculous prices.
I dropped my key recently in Go Outdoors shop. Fortunately a quick witted shop assistant guessed it was me and returned it before I realised it was missing. Carry the spare now.
I do find the key is awkward to insert sometimes, despite lubricating the lock

Offline safe-rider

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
Yes it was on Ebay

diverse-leafy