Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The end of an era  (Read 1138 times)

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
The end of an era
« on: 15 May, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »
Well folks, today I collected my (almost) new Versys 1000 and traded in my trusty MkII bringing over ten years of Biffer ownership to an end  :019:

I was sorry to see her go, and the only reason I got the Versys was for the (much) bigger and more comfy riding position. I'll let you know how I get on, so you haven't seen the last of me yet. I mean, if Bifferman can stay on the forum when he hasn't even got a bike....

But I will say a great big THANK YOU to all you great guys out there who have been such a great source of technical knowledge and support over the years: ta muchly :028:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline ADY

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Yamaha FZ1S
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: The end of an era
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
Its nice to get a new bike Chubbley and you will wonder why you didn't do it a while back . I here them there Virsys have a  fair amount of grunt so will make a good all rounder .
I started out with nothing?..and I?ve still got most of it left!

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »
 Let us know how you get on with your new bike. I too found it hard to move on from my Biffer. I had mine for 7 years and in over 60 years riding I've never had a bike for so long. In my case it was old age as it was getting harder to lush it around and if on a steep camber I couldn't hold it up. Enjoy!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »
Cheers Chubbly
Hope it goes well for you let us know your opinions on the bike  :152:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Quark

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBFthou MK1
  • City / Town: Soton
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:43:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Let us know how you get on with your new bike. I too found it hard to move on from my Biffer. I had mine for 7 years and in over 60 years riding I've never had a bike for so long. In my case it was old age as it was getting harder to lush it around and if on a steep camber I couldn't hold it up. Enjoy!

My CBF feels very agile on the move but I really notice the weight when pushing it into the shed, it's like the TARDIS, only instead of a size perspective it's weight, Time and relative weight dimensions in space: TARWDIS  :115:

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
Yeah, its the pushing that will eventually do me. The fact I have a gravel drive doesn't exactly help either.

I have wondered whether a spot of weight training might help. It's supposed to be good for general well being of those of us born in the 50's (or before) in any case. Nothing drastic just something for arms and upper body strength should do, I would think.

Mind you I've been wondering about exercise all my life, perhaps I should stop wondering and start doing - of course getting something 50kg lighter to ride is the other alternative. Trouble is that costs money and I still like my Biffer!  :008:
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2018, 06:05:08 PM by Brit182 »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Any thoughts of changing my MK2 have disappeared again. My wife will flatly refuse to change her CBF600SA as well.

Weíre coming to the end of a 2000 mile plus tour of Spain, both bikes are performing faultlessly (canít say the same for my new bloody Zumo 595). Having little time to ride in the UK, we had been out once (since October) before our departure therefore the tour has been like a reintroduction to our bikes.

I really canít fault my bike, even getting on for six years old, she rides perfectly. Those winter months of non riding cause me to look at new bikes, but nearly three weeks of riding my MK2 brushes away any longing to change.

:002:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Weíre coming to the end of a 2000 mile plus tour of Spain, both bikes are performing faultlessly (canít say the same for my new bloody Zumo 595).

Hi Phil,
good to hear of another successful tour  :047:
What's up with the Zumo? Only common issue I have heard about is related to the battery and charging it?
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
The screen in the sun is shocking, and you can hardly see anything. Add in your dark visor and you canít see anything!

It can be in the cradle for hours whilst riding, take it out of the cradle and within minutes the low battery warning kicks in. A few minutes later it shuts down.

Same conditions the next day and the bloody thing will have charged fine.  :187:

Iíve tried charging it direct from the mains, and you still get the same problem.

The brightness randomly resets itself to 40%, the only way you can see anything is on 100%.

Iíd say 50% of the routes I programmed for Spain have changed without any input from me!  :157:

I canít find any of my trip records showing distance, terrain climbed or descended etc.

Iím going to try and get a refund. Over £500ís worth and itís rubbish! :003:

To give a balanced review........I do like a bigger screen......canít think of anything else. I was more than happy with my 660, the 595 is not a patch on it. :028:

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
I hate to say it, but I've heard these comments before and everyone who has a 660 says theirs is better.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/