Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's in your top box?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
Re: What's in your top box?
« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
I don't have a top box - when loaded the No1 suspect for causing the dreaded handlebar wobble.

However I always used a smallish tail/pillion pack attached to the pillion seat.  Big enough though for holding my waterproof trews, which I have to say I never used even in heavy pouring rain in my 10 1/2 years of ownership.  Also carried a tyre gauge from a RR Silver Shadow, Waterproof winter gloves (used twice but very thankful for them on those occasions, a thinsulate high neck pullover for nightime riding (often from the O/N IOM/Heysham ferry back to Warwickshire - it got bloody cold at 3.00am), ah yes a side stand puck for my trips to the RTTW when we parked up in a grass field, occasionally a reet heavy (16mm chain) if I thought I was going anywhere that i might need one in an attempt to stop scroats from a simple act of theft (not needed in the IOM :002:), four pairs of nitride gloves to protect my lillywhite hands, AND, always, a spare STATOR plate :164:, a tube of RTV and the few tools (not exactly many!) needed to effect a roadside repair (I didn't and it went with the bike when I sold her). Lastly a couple of micro-fibre rags, a small packet of wet wipes and a small bottle of Nicwax visor rain repellent (brilliant stuff :028:).  Amazing what you can get into a small pillion pack - who needs a top box :187:.

Did I mention I carried a stator plate :187:I seem to recall that Rev Ken carried one of the very same (presumably with a case of red wine) when he went touring around Normandy/Brittany.  Damn good job he did two as one of his party had a stator failure towards the end of their foray in parts foreign :015:.

Andy
 :149:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

Did I mention I carried a stator plate :187:I seem to recall that Rev Ken carried one of the very same (presumably with a case of red wine) when he went touring around Normandy/Brittany.  Damn good job he did two as one of his party had a stator failure towards the end of their foray in parts foreign :015:.

Andy
 :149:
Correct - there were three Biffers and we used it on the one with the lowest mileage! It was replaced with an OE one on return to the UK and I got my second hand one back. I'm not sure if I still have it or gave it to my son when I 'sold' him my Biffer - two or so years ago..... If I find it under the debris that is my garage I'll let members know!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
What's in my top box?

• 2 pair riding gloves - one heavy, one light
  • Rainsuit
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • 2 paper maps
  • First aid kit
  • Ball cap
  • GPS and associated cable and cover
  • 2 plastic bags
I think that's about it.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2018, 08:02:03 PM »
My Top box is full of assorted gloves , walking boot gaiters ,dog leads, training dummies 
and sits in my shed never been on the bike.
But if anybody wants a used KAPPA TOP BOX in return  for a couple of pints you are welcome to come and get it.
From Shropshire

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »
1. A pair of waterproof leggings.
2. A pair of earplugs.
3. A Renthal sticker.
4. An empty Morrison’s carrier bag (5p variety).
5. A can of chain lube.
6. A pair of static caravan curtains.
7. A box of matches (dunno why, don’t smoke).

So my box isn’t always fitted either. I generally put it on to accommodate my helmet. But I often find there’s no room for it. I have panniers too. They spend their life in the garage wrapped in those painters cloths that you put on the floor to stop drips. Never use them.

So what does that say about me? I’m an optimist (no spares) and I am a tad disorganised. I guess.

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
I was planning a 4 week cross North America jaunt this June but it got diverted. Scored a Shad 46 cheap used and paid the premium for the proper Shad mount which is very well made....very rigid.

Enjoy riding without the side cases now ...bike is bit more nimble and looks more the sport side of sport tourer.

Local riding
Always had topcases on other bikes. Waterproof warmer gloves. Rain pants at least, sometime Icon rain jacket depending on which riding jacket I'm wearing.
ColdPruf top ....an added layer to any jacket, packs small, amazing warmth. Couple of bungies. My MFT Camera bag with Lumix Gx1 and several lenses up to the Leica 400 ( 800 mm equiv) in case birding or scenery opportunities arise. That takes a good chunk of space. ( about 25% ).
My 15" Macbook Pro, charger and cable. Anti-gravity XP-3 for additional iPhone power and potential jump starting.

A good peaked hat courtesy a trimp to Prime Meridian last fall.

And last because it weighs nothing, a self priming fuel hose .....still not used to the short fuel range on the biffer after the 450 range on the Vstrom.

That lot uses about half the 46 liters. Longer touring would see some additions in light weight gear and the camera gear moved to the side case and some to the tank bag.

Generally very happy adding the Shad....this was with the 37 Shad but I moved to the 46...more load capacity ( weight )

Was beginning to fit the bike out for the Xcountry run. my 19 liter tank bag would complete the set up and was considering a fuel container - looked pretty in the late sun so got some pics.
Disappointed about the trip cancel but best time for riding in Australia so the trusty KLR will have to do. 50% + drop in horsepower and 80% in smoothness will be regretted.

But the Biff no so good for this.

That top case is a bit challenging given limited capacity.
« Last Edit: 18 May, 2018, 07:31:33 AM by macdoc »
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline Rich M

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
If I'm doing a distance run or touring;
Small socket set
Duct tape
rok straps
cable ties
puncture kit
allen keys

I add more depending on the journey or country I'm going to
CBF1000A7
ZZR1100
'98 Blade

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT(MK1)
« Reply #17 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
On longer trips, between top box and side paniers;
Full body one piece rain garb. Only once used in anger. Still smells sweet!
Pair of sandels for walking in places not suited to bike boots. Like across an Irish bog.
Spare pair of socks. Don't ask!
Proper tool kit. Including cable ties! I started biker life on second-hand police Triumphs in the 1960s when stuff used to happen on the road.... Often.
Bottle of coke and Mars bars..... to keep the energy levels up as I approach my 7th decade of wearing out rubber.

And last, but not least;  a fully charged spare battery.
This follows an experience I had when my stator failed... for the second time.
If you take out the dip headlight bulb, avoid using indicators and horn, and only brake when absolutely necessary, you may get 60 miles plus on a fully charged battery.... before life goes very very quiet.
At that point, call your insurer for further instructions, and some time later a nice man with a trailer will take you home.

:005:
 :031:

You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
Yogi Berra

diverse-leafy