Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Neutral light switch  (Read 686 times)

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: North Ayrshire
Neutral light switch
« on: 23 April, 2018, 03:24:36 PM »
Hi guys just thought I would post this and maybe it will help someone with this problem. My neautral light switch needed replaced so I read some info on here on how to change it. First of all I would like to say it is not a pig of a job it is a very simple job. All that I had to do was take of the 3 nuts on the r/ h plate which carries the footrest plate, remove the 2 alan bolts holding the footrest plate to it , drft back the 3 bolts to clear the plate ( taking care not to damage the threads) and pull out the plate .This gave me direct access to the switch.Pull the rubber boot back and using an 8mm spanner disconnect the wire then 14mm spanner and screw out the switch. Fit new switch an reverse procedure to rebuid. Job took me total 15 minutes. No need to remove exhaust or anything else.No hassle whatsoever. Hope I have been of help..Cheers Westoneboy.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Neutral light switch
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
 :028:

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:27:09 PM »
Oh boy, this could be the best post I'll read all day.

With a dicky neutral light on my 82k 07 bike I've cleaned up the sidestand switch and connectors to no avail, so the neutral switch was next on the check list.
Reading the Bob Ollis-Brown manuals on replacing a neutral switch line 1 reads:
    "Remove engine from frame"     -     seriously!! WTH   :005: :005: :005:

Then found this post.   :046: :046:

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
The job is done and it's so easy. 20-30 mins tops and easier than changing a headlight bulb (I always have trouble getting the rubber cover back in place properly.

All on the r/h side.
Slacken the exhaust to hanger bolt, remove the side panel (1 bolt), remove the 2 hanger bolts, remove the 3 nuts in the plate which the foot rest bolts to (suspension and engine mounts I think). Remove plate, move some wires, remove old switch, insert new, reconnect, put all the rest back an re-torque. Job done, time for a cup of tea.

I've attached a file showing the bolts to remove etc.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
Good job (as they say in 'meurica). 
 :047:
Added points for showing the stud? worn down - so this isn't electrical (switch) failure but wear/tollerance (mechanical).  Doesn't help but of interest.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Certainly mechanical in my case but it's taken 83,000 miles to wear it down that far.
Under 60k is probably still an electrical failure.
£11 on ebay so not an expensive fix.