Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2006 rear brake abs help needed  (Read 1267 times)

Offline m-v-b

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Glasgow
2006 rear brake abs help needed
« on: 16 April, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
Hey guys

I took my bike in for an MOT recently, the garage passed it but mentioned I should have a look at my rear brake, as the tester said he needed to push down way too much to get it to stop on the rollers.

So I decided to overhaul the caliper, got genuine seals, took it apart, removed the pistons which were actually really clean, fit new seals and used a little red grease over the dust seal. Assembled it all, used red grease on the slides. Then I bled the brakes according to the manual, first the front right caliper, middle nipple, then the rear caliper, rear first then centre. A few little bubbles of air came out but not much.

After all that, gave the brake a test and it felt very weak, the bike comes to a stop, but even pushing down hard it just comes to a slow gentle stop. In all honesty I don't remember how the rear brake was before I did anything, but I have a feeling it was better than it is now. Is there something I'm missing out when bleeding perhaps? The pedal feels good whilst sitting on the bike, you press it and it feels firm, not spongy as if there were still air trapped.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: 2006 rear brake abs help needed
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »
If it is firm then not air.
Condition of fluid (is it all new now - m/cyl to both calipers the best you can with the abs valves in the path).
Then it may be disc or pads - what condition were the pads in, did you not renew them.

Do the reverse of the italian tune-up - use it very very hard.  It should come to be quite useable.

Unless the mot tester meant travel of brake lever - need to clarify, but you'll know if you rear brake is working or not - does the disc burn your fingers after a hard rear only stop from 60mph?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »
It is deliberately less powerful than the front brakes for obvious reasons, but is definitely weaker than some other bikes!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
Are you using OEM pads?

Offline m-v-b

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »
All fluid is new, I didn't renew the pads actually as there was a little life left in them. The pads are currently OEM, however thinking it may be worthwhile changing them.

I took the bike out a run today and the disc gets pretty hot braking rear only harsh.

I'll need to verify with the tester, but the brake pedal does have to travel a little too far before it starts to work.