Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What bike would I replace the biffer with next?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
Re: What bike would I replace the biffer with next?
« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevewestern [+]
I'm a long way from being able to afford to replace my CBF, but I do like big trailie-style bikes though would not be riding on anything other than tarmac.

I guess that a low centre of gravity would be an important part of any decision - I had my right ankle fused a few years ago following a biking accident and am very aware of it at very low speeds, ie when turning the bike around, or when waiting at lights. Funny then how my list of possible's all look very top heavy !

I changed from the Biffer to a Versys 1000 a couple of months ago and don't regret the decision one bit. I f you want a trailie style bike that isn't, the Versys is the perfect answer. It does however have a higher seat and C of G than the Biffer and requires a certain amount of planning in gravelly carparks. It would definitely be worth a look, IMHO. There are plenty of MkIs about at low prices.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
Thanks for that - I don't think I've ever seen one on the road or in a dealer (I tend not to go into dealers as temptation is not a good thing - that said I am right this minute watching a You Tube review of the V-Strom, which seems to be highly thought of, but boy the exhaust is even worse than the beak in terms of looks..)

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #22 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
I had a go on the Versys 1k and there is a lot to like about it. It is big like an adventure bike, very different to the narrow and compact biffer. But it is comfy. Instruments are basic by modern standards but cover all of your needs including gear position. Some of the equipment is basic and budget. The motor vibrates a bit in the upper half of rev range (like a tactile gear position indicator) but it has plenty of mumbo. Windscreen is surprisingly effective. Only thing I would change is the handlebar to make it less wide.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Brickit

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »
I may have missed it, but did you ever try the Z1000sx ?
I sold my CBF 3 years ago and moved onto the sx and I can't speak highly enough of it. A practical tourer combined with outstanding sports performance. Well built, very reliable, lower centre of gravity (in my opinion), electronic aids if you like that sort of thing and reasonably priced. No centre stand is, in my eyes, countered by not having to worry about the stator.
I still have a soft spot for the CBF, hence my occasional browsing of the forum, but I wouldn't come back, even for the Mk2.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »
Yes, in fact I test rode the Z1000SX on the same day I test rode the Mk2 CBF. The SX is a very capable bike and I could have got one back then instead of the biffer. It is still another one I would consider.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:47:52 AM »
Last year, sat having a beer on a roadside bar somewhere in the Spanish Pyrenees at the end of the day and of the literally hundreds of bikes that rode past whilst we were there, only a handful WEREN'T GS1200's or GSA's (about 10%).
I got the feeling that although I wouldn't buy one personally, they might be more reliable than I give them credit for since its human nature to only highlight the bad ones and with that many out there, maybe not so many owners have grief with them.
Still prefer a 4-pot for its turbine smoothness though.
 :016:

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #26 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
They seem to have a very sublime overall riding character, keep hearing that.
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2018, 10:27:01 AM by J-man »

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #27 on: 27 November, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
Another one that I overlooked before. The KTM 1090 Adventure. This is an interesting bike and I didn't previously consider the Austrian as I thought they are too off-road/adventure biased and expensive. But this one is probably their most ordinary bike well suited to road touring and very reasonably priced. There is a dealer near to me too (Fowler's of Bristol).
Anyone have experience with the orange bikes?

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #28 on: 27 November, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
2 friends have one and both complained about paint vulnerability. It scratches by just looking at it. One had a new tank because it was in a very hot sunny place and the paint gave up, he had to pay 200euro himself for getting a brand new tank. These are bikes from few years old, maybe things changed? If you google KTM paint problems you get hits.

For the rest they are very satisfied.
One found it ridiculous to pay 300 euro's to become able to make wheelies, it is an option LMAO. They plug in computer, change settings, job done, 300 euro please  :006:
But bike riding wise they are very satisfied.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #29 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »
Reading up on it, KTM are taking the 1090 out of their range.
They can be bought new at great discounts right now, until stocks run out. Then its tumbling tumbleweed ... @@@@@
For various reasons I can't buy a new bike at the moment.

Recent Topics