Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What bike would I replace the biffer with next?  (Read 9377 times)

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Sorry, sold the BronzeWing went back to BMW
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
What bike would I replace the biffer with next?
« on: 13 April, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
So I am very happy with my Mk2 biffer only had it just under two years and I can't really think of anything I would replace it with at the moment. If something catastrophic happened and I had a tour coming up I would most likely head down to Fowlers and buy one of the two used ones they have in their showroom  :152:
I have another bike just for having fun on - a naked sports bike. But I like the biffer for longer rides and general practicality, the decent half-fairing and luggage ability, the power to make overtaking easy, the easy riding position, its not too big or heavy, I can use it to go to work or head into the city, it can be fun to ride and most of all it doesn't get in the way of just being out there and enjoying wherever I am or what I'm doing.
But it pays to think ahead. Back during my GS-owning phase I first noticed the biffer (it was a mk1 parked somewhere) and put it on my mental list of bikes I could have. A few years later and ... I got one.
So what should I be considering for replacing the biffer with one day?
Part of me wants a T120 Bonneville maybe with a screen added for touring.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Re: What bike would I replace the biffer with next?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
I've been giving this exact same thing some considerable thought.

Been looking at the Honda Africa Twin:

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news/2017-honda-africa-twin-5-things-to-know-404823
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2018, 02:55:33 PM »
Africa Twin does look quite handy. But not sure how fun it would be on the tarmac roads, and it seems a bit over-fussy in the styling department for me. Something to consider though and its not a beemer so  :002:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
Try one (an -AT).

An absolute hoot on the road (I didn't take it elsewhere).  Very well mannered and the (manual) gearbox was a delight (quite different to any Honda I've ridden).
Warning:- It may bring out the hooligan in you.

Myself - patiently waiting for a mkIII (I know ...).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Ha - the MK3 already exists its called the Z1000SX  :150:
OK then Africa Twin is something I would consider

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
I had my Biffer Mk1 for 7 years and only changed it when it got a bit heavy for me to wheel around. Being vertically challenged my choice was limited. I wanted a bike that was as good an allrounder as my Biffer, but lighter. I decided the nearest I could get was a BMW F800GT. It isn't the same, but it has 90bhp on tap, a little more than my Biffer, and is amazingly frugal giving me regularly over 70mpg.

Of course younger riders will be looking towards bigger bikes, and if of 'average' stature have a much greater choice. However there is only one way of deciding what the next bike might be is to test ride as many as possible. It can be fun!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »
I went in my local dealer to buy an oil filter for my CBF last June and walked out with a 2008  Super Blackbird that I took to Spain in September. What a rush.
I thought I'd be getting rid of one bike or the other this year, but my CN multi-cover renewal came through yesterday and it's dropped over £100 from last year's  £400 premium, so I'll be keeping both for the time being.
Now which should I take to The Dolomites this year???

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
... the nearest I could get was a BMW F800GT. It isn't the same, but it has 90bhp on tap, a little more than my Biffer, and is amazingly frugal giving me regularly over 70mpg ...

I like those belt-drive beemers. Friend tried one on the same day he also tried a 1050 Tiger. That's another one for me to consider although the Tiger Sport (as it is now) is a bit long in the tooth the 1050 triple motor is an awesome thing. But he bought a Yamaha Tracer in the end.

BMW's are expensive to buy and Triumphs are expensive to get serviced - my little Street Triple is going to cost me over a grand at 12k miles  :005:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
...  Super Blackbird ...

Very good bikes as I understand it. Something I am not so keen on is the "jet powered elephant on roller skates" feeling I get on big powerful bikes, especially in the wet or on twisty roads. But the motorway-munching ability of big fully-faired bikes is something I could do with a bit more of.

When it comes to travelling on motorways I am often happy to waft along in the slow lane, it saves tyres wear and its less tiring than blatting along in the fast. But it can be boring. Because of screen issues with the biffer I find the slow option is preferable.

So what about the ZZR eh? They still make those.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
Before I bought my second-hand MK1 biffer in January, I test rode several bikes as I was toying with the idea of buying a new bike on a pcp deal. These were my thoughts, for what it's worth:

Tiger 1050 - liked it, but it reminded me too much of my old 1050 Speed Triple so it felt like a retrograde step
Tracer 900 - hated it  :015:, good engine but the suspension was crap
z900 - liked it, but too much of a 'fun' short point to point bike, although I do really like the new z900rs with the same engine
V-Strom 1000 - really like it, not super quick but loads of poke and super comfy
V-Strom 650 - too slow for me

I'd go for the big V-Strom if I was buying an alternative to the biffer.

diverse-leafy