Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone experienced any problems with their pilot box on the CBF1000F please?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Just trying to find out if anyone else has had issues with this part and maybe if there're are any defective ones kicking around anywhere.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
What issues Mike? :028:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Not heard of any.  As likely as a 'connections' issue - check the combo meter plug too (some lines come from there).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
What issues Mike? :028:
Mine began playing up last year when the RH indicator repeater went dim. Came back for a few hours, then went dim permanently.
It still flashed as it should, but simply not bright enough though.
When I found they cost £400 a pop, I took mine to a local electronics repair engineer who diagnosed a failing diode circuit in a 6-leg IC chip. For a bank of indicator LEDs, this box is not as simple under the covers as we might think.
He repaired the problem for £60.
I've since heard of a couple of other instances where the pilot box has exhibited problems (from the FB page). One guy had a free replacement under warranty and the other is still living with the problem (no LED activity on his LH indicator repeater if I recall).

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Not heard of any.  As likely as a 'connections' issue - check the combo meter plug too (some lines come from there).
I was so hoping that was the case JM...
Fact is, once the box had a direct + and - feed to activate the circuit board (NB the indicator repeaters aren't active until the ignition is on) , a + probe on the indicator repeater line proved the problem was in the box.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Hopefully not a new failure mode on a mkII (having, hopefully, overcome any egcv 'futures').

Have you had the PCB out - all dry in there? (though I suspect physical knocks may be to blame - well, lack of robustness probably).
Really interested if you look any further into this.

Yes, the two indicator lines do go directly there and indeed the earth for the combo meter seems to come from the p/box.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Mine is still OK after 6 years

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Hopefully not a new failure mode on a mkII (having, hopefully, overcome any egcv 'futures').

Have you had the PCB out - all dry in there? (though I suspect physical knocks may be to blame - well, lack of robustness probably).
Really interested if you look any further into this.

Yes, the two indicator lines do go directly there and indeed the earth for the combo meter seems to come from the p/box.
Yep. PCB out. All dry. Just a bum IC chip. Physically, it was located tucked away beneath a disc capacitor on the back side of the board. Other than that, not a clue as to why it should have failed and absolutely no idea what the circuit diagram for the PCB looks like. Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid.

diverse-leafy