Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adding electrics  (Read 1919 times)

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Adding electrics
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
30A relay

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline biker jim

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Minehead
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
I was asked to write up how I add accessories to my bikes. This is how.

Everything is controlled using the ignition key, but as all the power actually comes from the battery, you are not stressing any Honda wiring.

You will need a relay, a distribution box and appropriate fuses, some connectors and wires. You will need to know how to solder and how to crimp the connections.

This is a relay:

This is a distribution box

This is the diagram of what you connect to the relay

So, first thing is to take a wire from a switched point to the relay. The one I chose was from the rear brake light switch. You will see two wires - one going in and one coming out. You want the one that has power to it even if the brake is not depressed. They are both black, so best of luck working out which is which. What I do is separate the insulation leaving the bare wire underneath. Then I wrap the end of a wire around it and solder it. You can also buy special connectors which grab the wires and connect them without cutting into the insulation, but I have never used them.

Once you have that wire, run it up to the relay and connect it, using those connectors, to terminal 86 (see diagram above). Connect a wire from terminal 85 to earth (battery is best). These two then control the relay switch itself. Basically, when power is applied to 86 (via the ignition), it closes a circuit and connects terminals 30 and 87. When power is lost, the switch opens and the connection between 30 and 87 is dropped.

So, now you want to connect a wire - a decent thickness - from the positive battery terminal to terminal 30. Make sure you add an in-line fuse (also available from Halfords, Maplins etc.).

Lastly (for the relay), you connect terminal 87 to one side of your distribution box. I actually split that into 4 and connect it to all 4 connectors on one side of the distribution box. That then gives me 4 accessories to connect, all of which will be controlled by the ignition.

The other side of the distribution box has 4 spade connectors. Each one can then go to the power input of your device. Once you have connected it all, put an appropriately sized fuse (they are car fuses, available at ....) inbetween input and output.

I have:

Heated grips
Garmin Satnav
Autocom
USB block for charging things.

That's about it really. It is not hard to do. If you want me to do it for you, then just pop over to Rochdale.

Offline biker jim

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Minehead
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »
Hi Alan
can you repost pictures of relay and distribution box.
New member just about to fit accessories to CBF1000fa
Thanks
Biker Jim

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
I have a few pics of the project box I located under the left hand seat panel the wireing was fairly straight forward and I took a live feed to the relay from the rear light wire.

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
Here's my solution, run the wires to where they need to be (where you mount the accessories)

« Last Edit: 05 December, 2018, 07:11:56 AM by Art »

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
and the relay mounted on the factory fitted tab alongside the regulator/rectifier

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Here's my solution, run the wires to where they need to be (where you mount the accessories)
That picture deserves a prize on it's own  :152:

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
thank you, speaks a thousand words
« Last Edit: 05 December, 2018, 03:00:46 PM by Art »

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
Lovely clear picture of your wiring diagram Art. I wish I had seen that before I tackled my connections. So simple to follow.  :047:

Recent Topics