Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain oiler  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Leofric

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Chain oiler
« on: 27 February, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
Cheap chain oiler  looks interesting. Know it is from China but only about £14. Going off messy chain spray and thinking of using hp90 gear oil on chain. At least oil flung off wipes off easier than spray gunge. Any thoughts.
« Last Edit: 27 February, 2018, 02:08:39 PM by Leofric »

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
Re: Chain oiler
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
I might be missing something, as it's not easy to make out from the pics, but that Chinese system looks very much like a manual pump oiler, as there seems to be no regulating link to the bikes workings/vacuum pipes. Really, if price is not a limiter, I can highly recommend the Scottoiler system from personal experience. (I don't own shares!). It's automatic, works very well and is reasonably simple to install with plenty of guides online. Every now and then, the small amount of Scottoil that is inevitably flung off the chain is dead easy to clean off the wheel rims etc with some WD40 and a rag. It surprised me, but WD40 really is super effective.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
Yes, it will me a manual system operated by a lever on the handlebars to meter an amount of oil to drip on to the chain, similar to a Loobman but the parts look a bit more substantial than a plastic bottle and cable ties.
Looks as though the swingarm mounting might  be a problem with the CBF1000FA though.
Isn't the Scottoiler a bit complicated to set up with the electronics on the Honda?
regards

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
No problems. The scottoiler works purely via vacuum from the engine. It has no electrical connection at all. It uses a (supplied) T-joint connector for one of the vacuum pipes. No technical skill needed at all. The reservoir fits nicely under the biffer seat. Google their website - it's installation instructions are very clear.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
+1 for the Scottoiler  :028:

I got the V system, and additionally also fitted the Scottoiler Lube Tube reservoir which plumbs into the v system. Together, this gives me approx 4-5000 miles before needing to top up the oil in the lube tube. Both easily fit under the seat on the biffer, and both have worked faultlessly for approx 3 years now.

Scottoiler is not the cheapest out there, but highly recommended.

Offline CBFPete

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2013 CBF1000A
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
i have a tuturo auto oiler fitted to mine... top up, set rate.. simple

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shed [+]
+1 for the Scottoiler  :028:

I got the V system, and additionally also fitted the Scottoiler Lube Tube reservoir which plumbs into the v system. Together, this gives me approx 4-5000 miles before needing to top up the oil in the lube tube. Both easily fit under the seat on the biffer, and both have worked faultlessly for approx 3 years now.

Scottoiler is not the cheapest out there, but highly recommended.

:0461: I have exactly the same setup - had it on my last 5 bikes and no issues at all.  You have only to adjust the oil flow usually at the start of spring and then at the start of winter.  Brilliant and reliable chain oiler.

Rgds Steve

Offline john 087

• City / Town: munster
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
I have one on my bike and there are worth the money save on chain and sprocket wear.

Offline Slawcbf

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Cbf1ka7
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »
A tuturo auto oiler fitted to mine- does the job.  :123:

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
I have a Scottoiler that I've used on several bikes over the years - must be 12 years old at least and has covered many 10's of thousands of miles. The only problem in all that time was a leak, which I initially thought was due to a crack in the main body but just turned out to be the little brass nipple at the base working loose. Three seconds with a spanner and all fixed.

Highly recommended bit of kit: your chain will love you (nearly) forever!  :028:
No good deed goes unpunished.

diverse-leafy