Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Maxxis Supermaxx ST  (Read 2007 times)

edger and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Scott_rider [+]
I've generally used Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4's in the past but so it will be interesting to see how they compare with these Maxxis tyres. The current Bridgestone Battlax that are on it have a sort of 'dead' feeling if that make sense?

I would think that how tyres compare is related to what you use them for, For weaving through traffic on greasy roads Michelin
 PR Pilot 4 would possibly be a good bet ,  I use my bikes mainly for long distance camping trips ,the bike is loaded up and  run at fairly high speed to cover  distance,  That is the reason I chose Maxxis  ST  ( Sports Touring )  because that is the type of use they are made for.  If I had my bike for pottering round the UK I would use different tyres.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
I would think that how tyres compare is related to what you use them for, For weaving through traffic on greasy roads Michelin
 PR Pilot 4 would possibly be a good bet ,  I use my bikes mainly for long distance camping trips ,the bike is loaded up and  run at fairly high speed to cover  distance,  That is the reason I chose Maxxis  ST  ( Sports Touring )  because that is the type of use they are made for.  If I had my bike for pottering round the UK I would use different tyres.

My use for this bike will be a couple of big trips to Europe this year (5,000 miles in total) so I reckon the Maxxis should be good for those  :018:.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:57:23 AM »
I did 200 miles on the new tyres yesterday from Aylesbury to Southend and back. The weather was dry on the way there and quite wet about 40 miles from home. Initial impressions of the tyres are excellent  :046:. The bike is super stable, grip is great, and it turns in quickly, almost as if it's 50kg lighter, if that makes sense. So far, so good for the Maxxis tyres   :018:.
« Last Edit: 16 April, 2018, 09:59:27 AM by Scott_rider »

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
I’ve now done 6,000 miles on the Maxxis Supermaxx and I reckon they’ve got about 1,000 miles left in them. They have been good tyres  :018:. I reckon they are not quite as good as PR4s in the wet but just as good in the dry. I’d buy them again.

Anyway, I’ve just bought a new pair of Pirelli Diablo Stradas on eBay for £115   :002:. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

(there are a few other pairs on there at the same price, if anyone is looking for new tyres at the moment).
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2018, 08:54:46 PM by Scott_rider »

Online Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:19:59 AM »
Based on this Forum research earlier in the year, I shortlisted the Maxxis ST against the Pilot 4's. My tyre man (also a biker) recommended 4's, which he had in stock, I think they were about £40 to £50 dearer. So I went with with it based on 'You get what you pay for'.They have been fine all summer laden or unladen. The real test was last Thursday evening when I was caught in a massive downpour, flooding and standing water everywhere, they performed as if it were dry!, very confidence inspiring. They also seem to wearing very well.
I have used Mitas on my small bikes, and found them very good.

Offline davyayr

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Prestwick
« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
I recently fitted Michelin Road 5's, front and rear.

600 miles in and I love them.

I'm no knee-down hero, but after a couple of silly moments, they grip very well in the wet.  :001:

Dry riding is what you would expect.

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »
  :028: I'm giving a thumb's up for the Avon storm 3D XMs that I have been using for ages. That's me on a third set and have never had any issues and mileage is good.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:03:32 PM »
I've now replaced the Maxxis Supermaxx ST tyres after doing nearly 7,000 miles on them  :018:. The rear was well squared off and just on the legal limit, the front had started to wear in a conical shape but still had some tread left. Overall they were very good tyres, imho, and well worth it for £120  :028:

I've now got Pirelli Diablo Strada tyres on the biffer and I've done about 200 miles on them. So far, very, very good  :028:.
And a bargain at £115 for the pair :028:.

diverse-leafy