Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Maxxis Supermaxx ST  (Read 5887 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Scott_rider

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
  • Country: UK
Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« on: 24 February, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
I just bought a pair of new Maxxis Supermaxx ST tyres on ebay for £128, delivered  :018:. Hopefully they will be fine as they seem to get a good review and for that price they do seem to be very good value. There are a few other pairs on there for the same price if anyone else is looking for some.

I've only had the bike about 4 weeks and I've done 500 miles but I don't like the Bridgestone Battlaxes that are on it (and they would have needed changing soon anyway).

Offline Ali-bear

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 320
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
  • Country: GB
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Maxxis are well regarded in the mountain bike world. Let us know how you get on with them  :028: :028:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline edger

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
  • Country: shropshire

Offline oldtimer03

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 61
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • Country: England
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
While your price was very good for the Maxxis, it would seem that you probably get what you pay for with tyres. The current (dated April) edition of RIDE mag did a comprehensive wet weather test (using a Z1000SX) on the top 8 major tyre brands, and unfortunately the Maxxis came out bottom of the pack with a score of 30/60, with grip levels described as 'very slippery on initial scrub-in", and "poor...even after scrubbing and warming".
Very close at the top were Metzeler Roadtec 01 (54/60), the Michelin Road 5 (53/60), and Bridgestone T31 53/60).
The only 10/10 individual factor score was for the Road 5 with 10/10 for front-end feel/grip/precision, with all the top three brands pretty much getting 9/10 for all the other tested factors.
Clearly dry-weather grip is another ball park, but personally I always go for safety first and great front end grip in the wet sounds like a must-have to me!
Sorry if this is a bit of a downer on your purchase, but I thought the RIDE article was interesting and anyway, many users are obviously happy with the Maxxis, so you're not alone!

Offline shumba

  • CBF Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1537
  • City / Town: lichfield
  • Country: uk
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldtimer03 [+]
While your price was very good for the Maxxis, it would seem that you probably get what you pay for with tyres. The current (dated April) edition of RIDE mag did a comprehensive wet weather test (using a Z1000SX) on the top 8 major tyre brands, and unfortunately the Maxxis came out bottom of the pack with a score of 30/60, with grip levels described as 'very slippery on initial scrub-in", and "poor...even after scrubbing and warming".
Very close at the top were Metzeler Roadtec 01 (54/60), the Michelin Road 5 (53/60), and Bridgestone T31 53/60).
The only 10/10 individual factor score was for the Road 5 with 10/10 for front-end feel/grip/precision, with all the top three brands pretty much getting 9/10 for all the other tested factors.
Clearly dry-weather grip is another ball park, but personally I always go for safety first and great front end grip in the wet sounds like a must-have to me!
Sorry if this is a bit of a downer on your purchase, but I thought the RIDE article was interesting and anyway, many users are obviously happy with the Maxxis, so you're not alone!

  Why is there so much emphasis on wet weather grip  ,surly most bikers ride to suite the conditions at the time ,its something that I have always done ,and I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have never dropped a bike on a wet road , I have however had tyres let go when banked over in a corner , thus making road holding and stability the most important aspect when buying tyres , From my own experience the super duper wet wet weather tyres have a trade off in not being good at high continental speeds, this being far more important to me I have used both the Maxxis touring tyres and the Maxxis ST.  I had Maxxis ST on my 1250 Bandit (that I have just sold ,it was to big ) After doing two Continental trips in a variety of  wet dry hot and cold conditions the ST would be the pick of the bunch for me , If buying expensive tyres gives others more confidence ,then they will be the tyres for them.

Offline alantriggs

  • CBF Member
  • **
  • Posts: 67
  • Bike: Mk2
  • City / Town: Royston
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »
Who doesn't love a tyre discussion  :046:.  It's always a very individual choice.

Dave,what have you replaced your Bandit with?
better to wear out rather than to rust out..

Offline shumba

  • CBF Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1537
  • City / Town: lichfield
  • Country: uk
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by alantriggs [+]
Who doesn't love a tyre discussion  :046:.  It's always a very individual choice.

Dave,what have you replaced your Bandit with?

 Hi Alan , Yes its great to have a rattle about tyres on a day like this when you cant get out of the house. I agree with you that tyres are an individual choice, at the same time I am sure that a lot of folks are influenced by smart advertising and end up buying tyres that are over priced and not the the best choice of tyre for the type of riding they do,  My way of thinking would say that having a high speed spill would be far more dangerous than a low speed spill on wet road.
 I am in between bikes at the moment and not sure what to go for , Am thinking of something a bit smaller maybe a 650 Suzi.

Offline edger

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
  • Country: shropshire
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
OK While we are in tyre discussion mode ,What about Mitas Sport Force+?
About the same price as Maxxis ,reviews seem ok too.
 Slovakian  Company Owned by Continental   big in the off road world. I have seen them on KTM 1290R recently.
Just sticking their toe in the road market.

Offline jm2

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
  • Country: England (Non EU)
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
  Why is there so much emphasis on wet weather grip ...
Well said.

[Self-confessed FWR]
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Scott_rider

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
  • Country: UK
Re: Maxxis Supermaxx ST
« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
I've generally used Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4's in the past but so it will be interesting to see how they compare with these Maxxis tyres. The current Bridgestone Battlax that are on it have a sort of 'dead' feeling if that make sense?