Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Abs brake system 2007 model.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 07
  • City / Town: Durham
Abs brake system 2007 model.
« on: 15 February, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »
Recently learnt about ,and did remove both front and rear calipers on motorcycle.
Thanks to all previous related posts on the forum.Have only had the bike since november last year and so have ridden at times with salts on the road.i checked the calipers cleaned them with tooth brush and brake cleaner,used copper slip on the back of the pads ,cleaned the pins.
My question is about the rear wheel. How free spinning is normal?
The front wheel spins more easily than the back.the chain tension is right .ive wd40 the back brake lever mechanism.
Any thought or pointers about this would be appreciated.Im uncertain what is normal on this bike ,and unsure if the cause is pistons not returning and sticking a little bit .Could the cause be a bit of air in the lines ?.Thanks in advance.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Abs brake system 2007 model.
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
I find that if I put the bike on the centre stand and start the engine, the back wheel will slowly rotate, even when in neutral.

Does that help?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
Yes ,that is a good indication,my previous bike a Cbr 600 did that also.
Ive taken the caliper out again and this time put a peice of wood in and allowed the pistons to come out more.There is a ring of crud about 2mm around the end of the pistons .i managed to take some off but could not get around them totally.I noticed that the brake fluid was a bit dirty. (Dont know when it was previously changed)
If i could rotate them around mybe i could clean them .
IT looks like i could be heading towards a brake fluid change ,and the pistons taking out and cleaned properly.how much would it cost approx for a qualified mechanic to do the job..Im not happy to do it myself with it being abs .

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
Hi, went to see a competant mechanic and was quoted £50 for complete brake fluid change,and taking off rear caliper popping out the 3 pistons cleaning them .about £100 for popping out all front pistons also.the bike is abs.
So ive answered my own question lol😊

Offline Sibbo46

• Bike: CBF1000 mk1
  • City / Town: Dudley
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
Just for future reference, if you buy a set of motorcycle calliper piston pliers (about £10 off flea bay or Amazon). You can use these to rotate the pistons to allow better cleaning.

Offline Sibbo46

• Bike: CBF1000 mk1
  • City / Town: Dudley
« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
Also I had the same issue of rear brake drag on my pan European and local bike shops refused to pop the pistons out due to the complexity of bleeding the combined brake system. So px it for a CBF  :028:

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
Thanks Alan,
                          I did not realise that motorcycle piston pliers existed!. Now i think that i should be able to sort out the slight binding problem ,and also keep them nice and clean in the future ,its worth the outlay and will stop problems occuring in the future.
A good aspect of this forum is the collective knowledge of the members .cheers Midd.

diverse-leafy