Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MKII rear rack and top box on a budget  (Read 288 times)

Offline BEEFYEGGO

• CBF Member
  • Bike: MKII FA-C
  • City / Town: South Wales
MKII rear rack and top box on a budget
« on: 10 February, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
Hi...   

Bought my 2014 MKII a month ago to replace my Blackbird.  The bike came with no-name panniers fitted (which in truth aren't a lot of use to me as I don't tour) but no top box or rack. I do, however find the top box very useful indeed so I set about looking into getting a rack and box for this bike.  However I soon found out that a Givi combo would cost North of two hundred quid and I balked at that price.  However a little research yielded a "Shad" rack from A J Sutton Ltd., price £44.73 delivered and a "Ryde" 48 Litre top box complete with 12V light and carrier plate, cost £37.95 delivered.

The rack is a one-piece unit that bolts on top of the hand grips. This wasn't a straightforward fit, though.  The first issue was removing the 4 bolts that hold the hand grips in place.  Those puppies were in tight, tight, tight and an ordinary 5mm Allen key just wasn't going to do it - I was scared that it would slip. It needed an Allen socket to do the job... not a huge problem but it would have been if I had knackered the bolt heads.  Secondly because I had bought mismatching kit I needed to drill two holes in the rack to fit the carrier plate. Here's the rack showing the two 6mm holes I needed to drill. And on that note you will need a quality drill bit - this is quite thick steel!

Below is the rack with the carrier plate fitted.  Can anybody tell the difference between this plate and a Givi Monokey plate?  Answers on a £10 note, please.......   Another little problem showed up here.  The 6mm allen bolts supplied for fitting the plate to the carrier are too long and are a bit ugly when fitted.

So on to mounting the rack onto the bike and here I had a little problem.  The four 8mm bolts supplied with the rack aren't long enough, probably because I already have a pannier rack fitted.  The bolts supplied are black dome-headed 8mm x 75mm and would probably be OK if it wasn't for the pannier rack. I had to buy some 100mm long bolts which cost a pound or so each. Annoyingly I couldn't get black dome headed items but I'm happy enough with the ones I got from GWR Fasteners Ltd. by mail order, although I would imagine a good engineering suppliers might be able to supply the correct item. Maybe I will try to get some later in the year but that's one for the future.  When fitting the rack it is important to get all four bolts in loosely and gradually tighten them up in turn - you may have to persuade the arms of the rack a little to get them to line up. Below is a picture showing how it looks when fitted to the bike.

Continued in part 2.......
« Last Edit: 10 February, 2018, 11:18:41 PM by Admin »
Machines were mice and men were lions, once upon a time....

Offline BEEFYEGGO

• CBF Member
  • Bike: MKII FA-C
  • City / Town: South Wales
Re: MKII rear rack and top box on a budget
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »
And so the second and final part....

Here's how the bike looks with the top box and panniers fitted all ready to go

So...   was it worthwhile?   Definitely.  There was a little bit of faffing about with having to drill the rack to accept the carrier plate, and getting the rack bolted onto the bike was a little bit fiddly but when you consider that all told the job cost me a little over eighty quid I'm happy.

Future jobs are to replace the bolts with black dome headed items (if I can locate some...) trim off the too-long mounting bolts that hold the carrier plate to the rack (you can just see them in the back view photo above) and wiring the 12V top box light into the brake light circuit. But all that is for another day when I will also  invest the hundred and twenty notes saved on this job on the hugger that I plan on getting next..

Rob

Machines were mice and men were lions, once upon a time....