Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Brakelight Kit Fit to Top Box  (Read 474 times)

Offline Jex

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-6
  • City / Town: Cambridge
Givi Brakelight Kit Fit to Top Box
« on: 04 February, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
Just installed the Givi E135 brake light kit into my Givi V47 top box, with a few mods, and thought people might be interested.

The kit is a mix of mostly nice design and one or two tricky implementation steps.

Nice things:
  • Top box and mounting plate are set up from the factory to take the kit, with mounting points for terminal blocks and easily removable blanking plugs already there and, crucially, well aligned!
  • There are neat spring-loaded contact blocks between the plate and box, and between the top and bottom of the box which line up easily due to the factory fit features and avoid having to run wires across the box hinge.

Not so nice things:
  • Lining up the LEDs with the relevant holes takes a bit of trial and error.
  • Connection to the bike's wiring is by clamps which force a piece of metal through the insulation of the two wires to be joined, with the aim of slicing through the insulation and making a good contact with the wire core. For me they were fairly useless at cutting through the insulation and eventually also nearly severed the wire cores. In the end I ditched them and soldered on a new plug and socket on the brake light side of the connection to the main loom, to give a solid connection and also allow the mounting rack to remain detachable.

The kit's LED strips fit into the upper diagonal reflectors with holes in. I also took the opportunity to add two more 12V red LED strips inside the lower horizontal reflectors and wire them in the same way as the kit strips.

Connection across the brake light and ground lines running to the tail lighting cluster mean the LEDs come on with your brake light, as you might expect  :002:.

Picture below - upper diagonal lights are from the kit, lower horizontal lights added by me as a modification using the same wiring.

Offline Rich M

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Givi Brakelight Kit Fit to Top Box
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2018, 11:16:45 PM »
Does this make the top box non-removable?
CBF1000A7
ZZR1100
'98 Blade

Offline Jex

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »
No, the box is still removable. The kit fits the mounting plate with a male connector with flat contacts and the box with a female connector with sprung pins which mate when you click the box on. The only change is that I don't think you could mount an un-modified box onto a mounting plate with the male connector...

The mounting rack becomes more difficult to remove if you use the kit's standard parts, as they make a fairly permanent connection to the bike's wiring, so I'd recommend adding a plug and socket instead.

Offline KTM AL

• City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 06:58:35 AM »
 Hi Jex
 I have just fitted a Givi box and LED kit to my FJR. I wired a resistor and diode from the rear light feed so that the LEDs are half brightness all the time and go full brightness when the brake light shows.  :490:
 Forgive the incorrect bike wiring colours as these are from the FJR, but I'm sure you get the gist of it.

« Last Edit: 11 February, 2018, 07:00:20 AM by KTM AL »

Offline Jex

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Nice mod, I like it  :002: .

I think I prefer the standard set-up though, in that bright lights appearing where there were no lights before are likely to catch the attention of other drivers than existing lights increasing in brightness, but perhaps I could convert some of some of the LED strips on mine to running/tail lights and still use the remainder as on/off brake lights...hmmm  :084:

Either way, it's good to be more visible!

diverse-leafy