Author Topic: Electric bikes  (Read 1458 times)

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: lichfield
Electric bikes
on: 24 January, 2018, 04:31:20 PM
 As most of us know the sale of new petrol or diesel propelled motor cycles will not be allowed after 2040. At the moment electric seems to be the most likely as a replacement form of propulsion. From my own point of view petrol and diesel vehicles
should have been taken off the roads years ago, Internal combustion engines are an old and out dated technology that has run its course and is only still used to please the oil barons . I would think that most bike makers have  shelved any petrol engine development ,and are working like the clappers to developing electric bikes that will soon be on sale to the public. I believe that the advent of electric bikes will give a massive boost to the motorcycle industry for a number of reasons.  some of them being
bikes that are a lot cheaper to buy and require minimal servicing ,making them a far more suitable  commuting transport.
 Electric bikes also have the potential of out performing modern bikes ,one of the main reasons it that electric motors develop instant maximum torque from zero revs ,this with a low weight and low centre of gravity with motors in both hubs . This could equate to rapid acceleration and easy handling, There will be no  need for gearboxes a clutch or heavy engine with its water cooling system. One of the ideas at the moment is to have exchange charged battery packs available at what are now filling stations. What ever happens big changes are on the way.
Last Edit: 24 January, 2018, 04:32:57 PM by shumba

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Electric bikes
Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:37:58 PM
I think that is only half of the equation. We have still got a long way to go to develop batteries that are light and can store sufficient energy at an economical cost (Hybrid cars are more expensive). There are potential problems with replaceable battery packs as inevitably they will deteriorate over time and who want to exchange a nice new one withe one they don't know how much life there is left? Finally the overall efficiency relies on not only the bike's efficiency but on the generation and distribution of the electricity needed and there is real concern that even at the present rate of expansion of electric and hybrid vehicles the national generating and distribution of electricity is inadequate.

Never-the-less their time will come and as you say with max torque at zero revs (as with Steam powered vehicles killed off by Internal Combustion engine manufacturers) it remains a possibility in the future,. However by 2040 I won't be riding as I will be 100 and I'll have to restrict myself to my Porsche 3.2S Boxster, registered by then as a Veteran car.....  :123:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:59:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
I think that is only half of the equation. We have still got a long way to go to develop batteries that are light and can store sufficient energy at an economical cost (Hybrid cars are more expensive). There are potential problems with replaceable battery packs as inevitably they will deteriorate over time and who want to exchange a nice new one withe one they don't know how much life there is left? Finally the overall efficiency relies on not only the bike's efficiency but on the generation and distribution of the electricity needed and there is real concern that even at the present rate of expansion of electric and hybrid vehicles the national generating and distribution of electricity is inadequate.

Never-the-less their time will come and as you say with max torque at zero revs (as with Steam powered vehicles killed off by Internal Combustion engine manufacturers) it remains a possibility in the future,. However by 2040 I won't be riding as I will be 100 and I'll have to restrict myself to my Porsche 3.2S Boxster, registered by then as a Veteran car.....  :123:
[/b]

I think that HMG refer to cars of that age as 'Classic'.  I am looking forward to Bridget reaching that milestone next year and particularly so for no longer having to pay RFL or have an MOT :046:

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2018, 08:29:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
...as with Steam powered vehicles killed off by Internal Combustion engine manufacturers) it remains a possibility in the future...
Evolution is unstoppable, necessary, etc..
But when I was young every expectation for today's date was to have:
* those float mobiles without wheels;
* spacecrafts all over the cosmos;
* this and thats, certainly no combustion engines lol.

In other words it was not plain child fantasy to have these prospects, the technological bits were there (there was nuclear power, laws of physics, magnetism, solid state, the god darn transistors was patented in 1925!!)
If people were knowing in 1980 that the biggest rocket feat in 2017 would be a rocket first stage that puts itself down again after launch, they would be seriously disappointed in 1980 to hear that it is only that. Like whaaat, no lightspeed travel over 40 years?????

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but my point is that the prospects of timing have always been seriously wrong, way to rash and premature.

I can't argument that the curve of evolution will continue to be like it was in the past, maybe some jumps are going to happen, maybe. I can only see that all the Grand Themes of future thinking have been way too optimistic in the past.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2018, 06:13:10 PM
Feet on the ground. He's pro electric, but also a sober mind.