Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: steering head bearing adjusted, now can't lock the bike using the ignition key  (Read 715 times)

Offline jeproks

• Bike: CBF1000 MK2
  • City / Town: Montreal
Few weeks back, i was feeling a slight clunk whenever i go over a bump... Thanks for the wealth of information from other members, I was able to identify the culprit and fix the problem.  The bearing adjustment nut needed a bit of tightening, but now the lock pin is not aligning to the hole, therefore I can't lock the steering wheel.  Questions:  Is it OK if a put a washer between top bridge and the lock nut?  Will this solution adversely affect the bike?  Or is it an indication that my bearings are shot?  Thanks...

By the way, proper adjustment of the steering head bearing reduced the wiggle when removing your hands from the handle bar at low speed(40-60kms/hr)...

Offline duggers

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: London
Hi Je,

Unfortunately the original bearings are quite poor, being a ball bearing design. Most replacements are roller, and while not certain, is very likely yours are shot. Do you have a notch in your steering at the straight ahead position? Ian

Offline jeproks

• Bike: CBF1000 MK2
  • City / Town: Montreal
Thanks for the reply Dug... I think I was very careful when I inspecting the tightness of the bearing - not too tight, not too loose.  Just enough so that the bearing races are snug and eliminated "clunk".  I didn't feel any notch to be honest - all felt smooth and normal.