Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS light stays on  (Read 1083 times)

Offline crimpyjugs

• Bike: 2007 CBF1000 ABS
  • City / Town: Bristol
ABS light stays on
« on: 23 January, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »
I'm new to the forum, having purchased a 2007 CBF1000 at the end of last year.

I have an issue with the ABS, in that the ABS warning light stays on, even after riding over 6mph, when it is supposed to go out.

The light doesn't flash, and hasn't since i bought the bike, i've done the diagnostics to show any stored codes, but no codes are stored.

So i reset the memory on the fault codes (just to be sure), i've checked the fuses, and the various continuity checks in the manual on the Bob Ollis Brown website, and all ok.

The only thing that was not perfect, was the voltage at the power input on the 25P connector, manual says should be 10-17v, mine was hovering around 10v (even though voltage between battery terminals was 12.5v).

Has anyone else experienced this, am hoping i don't have to replace the pump/modulator, but that seems to be where the manual is heading.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: ABS light stays on
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
If running, 12.5v doesn't sound enough.
So first check your charging system using the book. 

If all okay then check out the ABS system by the book (not poke and hope).  People sometimes claim to have cleared ABS codes but haven't or there weren't any but they didn't know (so hadn't).

I'd not worry until after 6mph though (there's a suble two-stage thing going on if you look it up).

If you've just bought it, is there any warranty in case things get expensive. Any recent work/fiddling - it might yet be something really simple/self-clearing.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline crimpyjugs

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »
I believe I am using the correct manuals, i.e. these http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/ , I tend not to poke and hope!!

I cleared the codes using the procedures in this manual, so please let me know if this is not the correct procedure.

Do you know where I can find out more on this 'two stage' thing, as this has not been obvious when I have been searching for information.

Thanks

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
In the MkII book is shows as:- 4mph pump runs up (then switches off when primed/tested),  "6mph or above" (probably n time after pump switches off) the self-diagnostics completes.

BUT if it thinks there is a fault, you will have fault codes.

You need to check the operation of the ABS lamp.  If the same as mkII (I think the whole system is as shared with other H bikes of this era) the lamp uses the ECU continuity to switch off the indicator (not on).  There is a comprehensive chapter in the book (well, at least in the mkII book).

I still think you need to show your battery and charging system is up to scratch; and look at the other questions.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline crimpyjugs

« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
Just checked the battery and charging system.

With bike warm, charging voltage on tickover is 13.85v, voltage at 5000rpm is 13.90v.

Battery current leakage is 0.15mA.

However, battery was on charge for most of the day while I was at work (Optimate charger), battery voltage was 12.8v, and the charger was showing a red light/sad face! So I suspect the battery is on its way out.

Manual says charging voltage should be more than the battery, and not exceeding 15.5v, so does 13.85-13.90v sound like the stator is ok (for the time being)?

Also would I be right in saying that a drop in battery voltage, will cause the ABS light to stay on?

Looks like first port of call, is try a new battery.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by crimpyjugs [+]
Just checked the battery and charging system.

With bike warm, charging voltage on tickover is 13.85v, voltage at 5000rpm is 13.90v. looks about spot on

Battery current leakage is 0.15mA.  The workshop manual tells you what the max drain usually is and if this is less than then you certainly won't be haemorrhaging juice.
  Do you have an alarm fitted ?

However, battery was on charge for most of the day while I was at work (Optimate charger), battery voltage was 12.8v, and the charger was showing a red light/sad face! So I suspect the battery is on its way out.  With a good battery and/or a charger that is working well then after a good time on the charger I have noticed that the immediate voltage upon disconnection would be in the region of 13.4v or thereabouts and this slowly settles to sub 13v over a few days ending up at 12.8+ volts after a week if the battery is good.  Not as good as a proper battery condition tester but a reasonable guide I guess.  Read the bit about Optimate connection pins below before you do anything precipitative.(ish)

Manual says charging voltage should be more than the battery, and not exceeding 15.5v, so does 13.85-13.90v sound like the stator is ok (for the time being)?  Agree

Also would I be right in saying that a drop in battery voltage, will cause the ABS light to stay on? Probably but it would have to drop a fair chunk i.e. as if yoiu had heated grips on and the bike was on tick over

Looks like first port of call, is try a new battery.  If your battery has been on for 4 or 5 years then why not go for a new one anyway - Look at the Westco batteries - Very well made and supplied by a very long establishe manufacturer.  However before you do I would check the battery voltage again in a couple of days and again in a few more days and see what the voltage is again in say a week or so.  AGM batteries hold their charge well, very well, and if you are starting off at 12.8V I would not expect it to dropm to below 12.6 to 12.7v in that time scale if it is reasonable OK.  What I would look at though are the pins in the connection in the cable from the Optimate.  Until the later models of Optimate theseconnecting pins have been known to get verdigris on them which can readily cause the unhappy face syndrome.  Check and clean the pins before you do anything else.  FWIW I have even had these pins eat themselves on Optimates that I have owned in years gone by.

Offline crimpyjugs

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
Update, after living with just having the light on, and the ABS disabled as a result, the other day the ABS light started flashing.

Checked for stored codes, only one, code 43, so related to rear speed sensor/sensor wiring, went through all the checks as per the manual, and all seems ok, so the manual suggests it is a faulty rear speed sensor.

Ordered a second hand unit, installed it today, cleared the stored codes, and blow me, as soon as I start riding, the ABS light goes out, checked it a few times, and each time the ABS light goes out and stays out!

I'm still not sure why the light originally stayed on, rather than flashing, but all seems to be working now.

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »
Well done, proper job and how refreshing to get an alls now well update.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
Good to have it solved. How did you delete the stored codes without going to a Honda dealer ?