Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: knock on chain  (Read 492 times)

Offline guyzillah

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Thirsk
knock on chain
« on: 10 January, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »
After riding,  when I freewheel the bike in to the garage there is a repetetive knocking/clicking to the chain which seems to be over the front sprocket'

When the bike has cooled down this noise disappears.

The chain is well lubed by a Scottoiler, the slack seems to be OK,   and I can't find any tight spots.

Mates say it just happens when  the bike when it's still very hot,  but  it's not happened before.

Should I be concerned?   If so,  it will have to go in to my local dealer.  Any ideas please.  Guy.

Guido

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: knock on chain
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
Lets start assuming a good wheel and chain alignment. Is it?
Chances are your chain is de-greased internally while it might drape of oil externally. I had that, with a knock.
You will find many youtube vids with knocking chains, and all will show you a perfect nice looking super clean chain.
Draping oil doesn't help.
In my case it was solved by MOTUL chain spray, and aiming the fine long tube as close as possible on the O-rings section so the oil can get inside.
The O (or X) rings prevent oil going out but also oil going in, so external lubing needs a little extra effort to get back oil within the O rings axels.

The knock in my case started after a cleaning with a Karcher high pressure cleaner that blew all dirt from the chain, and prolly also degreased my chain internally. I had it draped in chainsaw oil after but the knock persisted. Only that trick to aim oil into the O-rings did it and never heard a knock since.

Maybe your case is something else idk, just saying.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Pro
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
Guy,
Agree with above, alignment or rings gone or worn chain, how many miles has it done? May be due a replacement. Happened to me previously, the chain looked fine, but the internal rollers were knackered. My be a tight spot as it goes over the front sprocket? Pressure washers are the death of bearing seals.
Tommo

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
My chain was near new, and after getting the spray in the X ring sections all was OK again, not a single tac tac sound anymore.
This was the thread:
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,6766.0.html