Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can an Optimate kill a battery?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Can an Optimate kill a battery?
« on: 10 January, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
The bike has been parked for two months with an Optimate attached yet three weeks ago I walked into the garage and the monitor was on red (no idea when it had been switched off from the mains)

I turned it back on and its been charging three weeks and is reading green and i presumed all was well but the battery is now dead flat so did my Optimate being switched off kill my battery?

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Can an Optimate kill a battery?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
My brother killed a fairly new bike batt so dead as a dead can be, by hooking it on a "maintenance charger" for a few months, geltype acid battery. He was abroad for his job that long. He came back to discover a toasted batt. It was a so called intelligent charger topping max voltage at 14.7 volt but floating at that voltage for so long was no good.

I read an article once that said that 14.7 floating is too high for gel acid batteries for longer times. It should be OK for charging but not floating long times. And longer times is not like a day ride but really weeks to months. The article suggested to have 13.2 instead, but no simple charger I know of has that option to choose from.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2018, 02:50:14 PM »
I never leave mine on full time charge. :110:

When our bikes are not in use I plug them into the Optimate every few days, for a few hours each.  :028:

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »
My 6 yr old Mk1 has been kept on it's Oximiser 900 more or less permanently every winter and then connected occasionally during summer, and it's still on it's original battery. Generally after a brief initial +14v 'bulk charge' the Oximiser seems to settle down to a 12.6v 'maintenance' charge, so surely shouldn't be able to harm the battery. Oxford Products do state that their Oximiser "can be left permanently connected to provide guaranteed long term battery care". Do the Optimates operate differently?

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »
My brothers charger that killed the batt was sure no optimate.
It could as well be brand related.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
If it did then it must have been a FAULTY Optimate - maybe output stage has gone pop and low impedance across battery +ve & -ve terminals?

I have 2 Optimate chargers - a 4 for the bikes and telescope battery and a 6 for car batts. I regularly leave mine connected to batteries but switched off at the mains and have NEVER seen that before  :087:

Suggest you measure the output impedance with a multimeter - take 2 readings, one with + to + and - to - meter to battery and then + to - & - to +.  There is a diode that prevents damage from accidental reverse polarity connection so perhaps that has gone short circuit or something...

Then report to Optimate if it is knackered cos they MUST take a fault like that seriously given their reputation for saving batteries not KILLING them!

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
I have 3 optimates connected to the 3 bikes and they are on all the time. No issues in all the time I've been using them (8 years at least).

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline cbrog

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
I have Honda branded optimate and used it for years but not over long periods , usually plug it in 24 hours before a ride  :300:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
Just measured the output resistance across +ve & -ve terminals of Optimate 4. Reading 97 k Ohms which according to Ohms law would work out at 0.12 ma drain on a 12V battery. Then I calculate how long it would take to fully drain a 10Ah battery - over 9 years  :mfrlol:

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »
Had an Optimate on my bike for 2 years. Wheeled it out, pushed the starter and after clearing it's throat, it started up like the last time it was used was the day before. Having said that, the following winter with the Optimate on, the battery died. But I think it was, as they say just that battery's time, nothing to do with the charger. I think.